Disable automatic renewal of Lets encrypt

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Shyciii, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

We have a server where we have been using our own ssl for years. For some time ispconfig has been doing this by overwriting our ssl with a lets encryt ssl without saying anything. If I overwrite it with ours, it will overwrite it again with lets encrypt after 3 months. But it only does this for one of our servers. How can I disable it so that it doesn't want to use Lets encrypt ssl at all costs?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It's not ISPConfig that overwrites your cert, it's the Let's encrypt client that does this. Delete the Let's Encrypt cert by using the LE client of your system (either certbot or acme.sh).

3. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

I try get certificate, but nothing show:

~/.acme.sh/acme.sh --list
    Main_Domain KeyLength SAN_Domains CA Created Renew

4. till

Is the cert maybe under /etc/letsencrpyt/ ?

5. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

Not. There isnt cert under /etc/letsencrypt. Only one file there: ntpsec under renewal-hooks/deploy

6. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What is in that file? I mean, something is doing something.
    Who did the setup of the ssl? Are there any crons trying to get the files from a folder which uhm I don't know
    is part of a multiserver ispconfig setup and is deploying certs?
    And as you did not say, though I assume but must ask, Letsencrypt is disabled for that domain?
    Does the domain have aliasdomains or subdomains which use LE?

7. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

ntpsec conatains the following code:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -eu
    # vim: ai ts=4 sts=4 et sw=4

if [ -r /etc/default/ntpsec ]
    then
        . /etc/default/ntpsec
    fi

if [ -z "${NTPSEC_CERTBOT_CERT_NAME-}" ]
    then
        exit 0
    fi

# If the certificate being deployed is not the one for ntpd, exit.
    found=0
    for domain in $RENEWED_DOMAINS
    do
        if [ "$domain" = "$NTPSEC_CERTBOT_CERT_NAME" ]
        then
            found=1
        fi
    done
    if [ "$found" = "0" ]
    then
        exit 0
    fi

# Copy the certificate (including chain) and key so ntpd can read them
    # after dropping privileges.
    install -m 644 /etc/letsencrypt/live/"$NTPSEC_CERTBOT_CERT_NAME"/fullchain.pem \
        /etc/ntpsec/cert-chain.pem
    install -m 640 -g ntpsec \
        /etc/letsencrypt/live/"$NTPSEC_CERTBOT_CERT_NAME"/privkey.pem \
        /etc/ntpsec/key.pem

# Tell ntpd to reload the certificate and key.
    killall -HUP ntpd 2>/dev/null || true
    It is not a multi-server. As far as I know, we've never used a secret key on this domain. I just looked back at the tickets, and this problem first appeared on January 22 (so exactly 3 months ago like letsencrypt life time), and ispconfig was also updated to version 3.2.11p2 on that day. This problem did not occur before (and before that, ispconfig was updated several times). So something strange happened during the update.
    We keep our own certs under /etc/certs, and here I overwrite them with letsencrypt, but strangely the name of our certs is kept (domain.crt, domain.key)

Root cronjob the following:

Code:
    37 0 * * * "/root/.acme.sh"/acme.sh --cron --home "/root/.acme.sh" > /dev/null
    * * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done
    * * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done

ztk.me likes this.
  8. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

One more thing. Today I did an ispconfig_update.sh --force to see maybe that solves the problem. Maybe it deleted the possible cert from /etc/letsencrypt?

9. ztk.me

Hmm eventually - and despite my tag on this forum I do not know much about internals - it shows in the logs if it removed / cleaned up things?
    Possible lazy way to solve this would be to use auditctl -w /path/to/your/live.cer -p war -k recognizeablesearchstring_mycertinlogs

and watch for ausearch -f /path/to/your/live.cer

or wait for till to have some, hopefully donored, coffee :)

or fs_usage in a screen window maybe

just in case it is not ispconfig. but if it is, you'd know when and may be able to have a better entry point in the debug logs you have enabled on ispconfig by now? or just use the certs mtime ya ya

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  10. till

An ISPConfig update does not delete any certs.

11. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

I thought that it activated/deactivated the operation of letsencrypt, because there is a question about whether to generate a new cert.

12. till

No, it's just about generating a new cert.

13. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

Unfortunately, auditd was not installed by default, so even though I installed it and set it to the files in the cert folder, I have to wait 3 months before it is overwritten again :D

14. ztk.me

yes, this was just something I could suggest. Not knowing how long it'd take for till to receive some coffee :)
    Sometimes you'd well have to wait a few *g But hey, maybe someone learned something new for other use cases

15. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

Thank you both very much for your help. Now there will be a long wait, so this ticket can be closed.

16. ztk.me

you could see what happens if you chattr +- i a file, then auditctl it and check if overwriting it would be logged still, this I did not try.
    at least you could prevent ispconfig ( or whatever ) from overwriting it.

17. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

I did chattr +i in January and still something managed to overwrite it. So it's very mysterious to me. Hopefully in 3 months I'll see what's bothering me like this.

18. ztk.me

oh nice, that is indeed a good info to know as there are some places where it could have been ispconfig.
    And one could add some extensive debug code in 3 months to that :?

Attached Files:

19. ztk.me

maybe those are better spots

Attached Files:

20. Shyciii

Shyciii Member

Uhm, Unfortunately, I don't understand any of these.