Disable remount of log directory

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by stargazer, Nov 11, 2013.

1. stargazer

stargazer Member HowtoForge Supporter

I generally set up servers with a couple of partitions, and a very small / partition. I did this with ispConfig, creating separate partitions for /var/www on the web server.

Now, I see that when a site is created, a log dir is created for it (great, what I want) but the creation also does a bind remount to /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/domain.

I looked through the configuration GUI and did not see a way to disable this or modify its behaviour. I also did not see anything on this site while searching for "ispconfig fstab bind log".

Is there a way of disabling this feature, or do I need to create a separate partition for these logs. I have some space on / still, but after this gets running well, I think it will fill up my root partition.

As an aside, is there any way to limit the HowtoForge search to simply a particular forum?

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You have to keep in mind, that some other logs are located in /var/log, too. And those can grow. E. g. the mail.log, syslog etc.
    The path to the web logs of ISPConfig webs are hard-coded, I have not tested if something breaks when you change the path, but I think it could.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All Linux logfiles are in subdirectories of the /var/log directory, so ispconfig is storing the website logs there too. Logs can get very large (not only the website logs), so it is recommended to have a separate /var or /var/log partition.

So /var/log/... is the correct directory for log files, there is no option to store the logs into other directories in ISPConfig. If you would want to do this anyway, you would have to write new apache logging script (vlogger) for your server.

The bind mounts exist only to allow ssh users of the website to access the log files of their website.

See Search > advanced search here in the forum.

4. stargazer

stargazer Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks to both of you. I saw that you could simply change the vlogger call in ispconfig.conf to point to a different directory. Haven't really used vlogger before. But I also realized that Webalizer and AWStats configuration scripts would have to be modified. I had hoped there was a global variable someplace that could have been changed, but was concerned as to what else this would break. That is why I asked the question.

Instead of running the risk of breaking everything, I'll simply create a new LV for /var/log/ispconfig. I am well aware of the size of /var/log, but thank you for pointing that out (I have been a Linux Sysadmin for a couple of decades now). The logs themselves appear to be standard apache log files, so I can estimate the size based on the existing systems. Also will modify my backup scripts to include that directory (I back up all of the users files and databases, including logs, every night).

Thanks also for the explanation of the bind mount's purpose.