Discarded e-mail messages by ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by macguru, Sep 14, 2017.

1. macguru

macguru Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I have few messages which seem to be discarded by our ISPConfig 3.1.2 mail server.
    They arrive at my gmail account without problems or spam flags.

1) At first, I try to increase max attachment size.
    postconf -d | grep message_size_limit
    >> message_size_limit = 10240000
    postconf -e 'message_size_limit = 50120000'
    rcpostfix restart
    Have no effect for whatever reason.

2) How to properly grep huge mail log in order to print list of messages wiped out by antivirus ?

Thanks in advance.

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If your server rejectes a mail, you will get a bounce-mail (ie inbox full). Are you sure, that the mailsize is your problem?

3. macguru

macguru Member HowtoForge Supporter

Message was sent to our mailbox and simply vanishes. I have a copy in gmail, and resend it again. Looks like it was silently discarded without any bounce. So question know how to grep mail log for erased incoming mails.

4. BobGeorge

BobGeorge Member

Do you have spam filtering turned on?

Perhaps it's been wrongly culled by amavis / spamassassin as "spam" and discarded. I had something similar happen when trying to send emails outwards from the server through PHP. It was being sent correctly, but the spam filters decided it was "spam" and the default policy in the configuration was to silently discard it.

If you grep for "amavis" on "/var/log/mail.log" then you might well see a message declaring your emails "spam" and that it's been discarded.

(It might not be this. I'm no expert on the mail system. But it just sounds a lot like what happened to me and that's what it turned out to be. The spam filters being too keen to declare your emails as "spam".)

Another test you could try is to change the policy for spam in the configuration files from "D_DISCARD" to "D_PASS", which will label suspected emails as "spam" but will send them, instead of just dropping them.