Discarding catch-all invalid emails

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sushestvo, Jun 7, 2010.

1. sushestvo

sushestvo Member

Somehow, I created this topic under main Linux questions instead of ISPConfig. I hope someone can delete it there. Anyway, here is a copy :D

Hello,
    I still have an old ISPConfig version 2.2.19 running on my box.
    Please don't ask to upgrade as everything running very smoothly and I don't want to mess anything up. Plus I have several Apache instances and Nginx. Reconfiguring everything would be a nightmare

Anyway, on one of my primary domains names I have a catch-all email address (the administrator of the web-site). It receives close to 500+ email a day no some weird gibberish addresses like [email protected] where domain.com is my domain. If I disable catch-all - Postfix starts to send bounce emails back to those fake addresses it came from, which bounces back and etc. So I have to accept them via catch-all. Having said, it is a valid address where I get good mail - sorting every day through all that spam - I can't do it anymore

Is there a way to configure Postfix to discard all catch-all emails and let valid defined accounts through?

I thought about making some [email protected] a catch-all, but then I still have to clear it out every N days. I rather it just be discarded/deleted instantly.

I would appreciate any help.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Go to the Spamfilter & Antivirus tab of that email account in ISPConfig and select discard as the Spam Strategy.

3. sushestvo

sushestvo Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I forgot to mention - spam assassin is disabled due to insane resource consumption (due to a lot of incoming mail). All virus/spam checking is done on a client with a different tool.

Is there a different solution? :(

4. createch

createch ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Assuming that you have the following 5 valid email addresses under this particular domain:

[email protected] (the admin, catch-all)
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

(and there are times when emails are sent to the fake gibberish addresses like [email protected] received, etc.)

If I were you, I will do it this way

1) make the [email protected] NOT catch all
    2) create another email address to do the catch-all (e.g. [email protected])
    3) in the ISPconfig panel, add a "foward + keep copy" so that all emails to the four valid*@domain.com will also c.c. a copy to the [email protected]
    4) write a simple cron job to delete those emails inside the [email protected], set it to run once every 5 minutes (so that you don't need to clear it out every N days manually)

Enjoy...
    Createch