Diskless workstation setup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by FredZ, Nov 17, 2021.

1. FredZ

FredZ Member

Hello all

I am experimenting with a diskless workstation setup.

I have the PXE side working thanks to this tutorial. This is installed as a VM and is working as expected.

However I am having confused about how to implement a target drive during install. That is, I get the install process to get to selecting an install drive. Then I don't know what to do.

Question: How do I setup what I will term the remote drives to install to.

Ideally I want to an NFS as its supposed to be easier to setup, but I'm also happy with an iSCSI setup.

I need each client to install to its own drive.

Here is what I'm working with.
    Proxmox virtual server with 8 VMs so far. Server is only operating at around 5% so it is ideling.
    PXE server (VM) is on buster and appears to work as expected.
    Remote drive ideally will be another buster VM with whatever is required to provide the drives to install to.

Your comments would be most helpful.

Regards

Fred

palak pandit likes this.
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have used Linus Terminal Server for diskless workstations. They work following the setup instructions.
    https://ltsp.org/
    If you do not want to go that route, Arch Linux seems to have setup instructions for diskless workstation: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Diskless_system
    I found that using Internet Search Engines.

palak pandit likes this.
  3. Julian Graebner

Julian Graebner New Member

ok, :rolleyes:
    i was able to set up a diskless workstation without any problems

palak pandit likes this.
  4. FredZ

FredZ Member

Its OK

I couldn't get it working so abandoned this solution and put either HDD/USB HDD/PenDrive in the workstations.

Not ideal, but I couldn't find any other workable solution that I could understand and get going.

Regards

Fred

palak pandit likes this.