Dist Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, will it break stuff?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by rob_morin, Apr 7, 2017.

1. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

Hello all, anyone have any experiance upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 in place with ispconfig 3 running?
    All is working just fine now, but we want to upgrade 16.04 for different reasons..
    Suggestions, comments?
    Thanks, and have a great weekend!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There have been some users that reported problems with the 14.04 to 16.04 dist upgrade, for others it seem to have worked. Personally, I have not tested that. You might want to search a bit in the forum, there should be threads about that topic.

3. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I did not had any problems with an upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04. But you should update ispconfig / reconfigure services after the os-upgrade.

4. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

Ok thanks, if i encounter any issues i will let you know by updating this post.

5. chico11mbit

chico11mbit Member

please also reply if this works for you... i am a little bit scared about updating our systems to 16.04

6. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

Ok, so today we did 2 servers, one is dns & mysql the other mail, pop, imap, smtp along with amavis. The 1st mysql server went pretty much ok took about 40 mins, our only problem was eth0 became ens32, once we update the interfaces file, and rebooted all was ok, Fail2ban was messed up so we uninstalled re-installed all went well.

The second server the mail server, same issue as mysql server with the added problem of amavis would not start, we had to install dbd:mysql and then all worked as expected. The mail server took twice as long as mysql as there are more packages. but all in all everything went pretty smoothly. We will attempt our web server tomorrow, i expect much will break, i will post after we are done. so in order this is what we did on bot servers.

*** Please note we have all this in a vmware setting, so we were able to get a console to fix the eth0 problem. If you have no console access DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    ispconfig_update.sh (nothing to update in our case)
    do-release-upgrade
    edited the /etc/networks/interfaces file to change eth0 to ens32
    on mail server installed dbd:mysql via cpan
    just type cpan and then at the prompt type "install DBD:mysql"
    we rebooted and all was well

Hope this helps someone.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. concept21

concept21 Active Member

It should be treated as migration, not upgrade. Upgrade will break your ISPConfig for sure.