DKIM configuration

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by conductive, Jan 17, 2018.

1. conductive

conductive Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am attempting to set up DKIM.
    Under the
    email domain section for mydomain.com I was able to generate a DKIM Private-key but when I went to the DNS Zone it asks for a Public key and a DKIM selector. What should I enter in the Domain Zone?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When your dns zone exists in ISPConfig DNS server when you create the dkim key, then the public key is added automatically. There is no need to manually configure the DNS zone then. In case you use an external non ISPConfig DNS server, then you find all info that you need in the dkim settings of the mail domain (where you created the dkim key).

3. conductive

I keep getting the following error:
    Public-Key missing

4. till

Did you check the dns zone if it contains the dkim (TXT) record in the records list?

5. conductive

6. till

Did the dns zone exist in ISPConfig before you added the spf record? If yes, then the dkim record should have been added automatically. If no, then you can try to remove dkim for the mail domain and add it again. Or you add the spf record manually, all info that is required for that is in the dkim fields of the mail domain.

7. conductive

I added the the spf record manually

8. conductive

I added the dkim TXT record and sill get Public-Key missing

9. till

DNS records get cached, you might have to wait some time. Or the server where you added it is not authoritative for the domain.

10. conductive

Does the public key come from my domain registrar?

11. till

The public and private key are generated when you enable dkim for the email domain and the data is shown in the dkim part of the mail domain. The public key then has to be added to the authoritative dns server of the domain. This can be the dns server of your domain registrar in case you use his dns server or your own dns server in case you delagated dns authority from your domain registrar to your own dns server.

12. conductive

Thanks for the informative answer.
    Unfortunately it still does not work and I an not receiving the key so I am not able to save a DNS DKIM Record.

I talked to my registrar and was told that they do not cache or provide DKIM keys. On my control panel I have a DNS Management section, Nameserver section and a Private nameserver section. and Record.

In the Nameserver section I have 5 dns?.name-services.com Do I need to add my DNS information to the Private Nameservers section?

13. till

This is the dkim part of the mail domain:
    2018-01-18 18_02_51-ISPConfig 3.1.11.png
    and there you click on "Generate dkim private key" and then you get the key:

2018-01-18 18_03_06-ISPConfig 3.1.11.png

The private key is in the first field and the DNS dkim record is shown in the second field. So all info that you need is there, just click on "Generate dkim private key" when the fields are empty and you did not enable dkim for the domain yet.

14. conductive

Thanks that helped. After all the different attempts I either forgot to
    enable DKIM or inadvertently turned it off. DKIM now works

Gwyneth Llewelyn and till like this.