DNS and Domain name from 123.reg

Discussion in 'General' started by scorpious, Jan 25, 2011.

1. scorpious

scorpious Member

Hi All

I am new to ISPConfig 3 so I need a few questions answered that I am unsure about.

I have followed the instructions to install Debian 5 and ISPConfig3

The Perfect Server – Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) With MyDNS & Courier, I have installed ISPConfig 3.0.3.1 everything is workin fines, I am doing local testing at home using No-IP.

I have a Domain Name with 123.reg, just the name not the webhosting, do I enter the dns1 and dns2 information from 123.reg into the DNS page for the Domain name to resolve to my machine and what other information do I need.

What is best to use MyDns or Bind as there are two Perfect Server - Debian 5 tutorials, I have noticed reading through the Forums that some perfer to use BIND and not MyDNS.

Once I have finished local testing I am hopeing to get the server in a Data Center local to me.

Cheers

Scorp

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Does 123.reg provide the nameservers for your domain? In this case you don't need to run your own nameservers with ISPConfig, you can use the 123.reg web interface to manage your DNS records.

3. scorpious

scorpious Member

Hi falco

Yes I have two Nameservers

Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2 are the same address

I have changed the @ and www IP to my own IP

I am able to view my site with www.myhost.co.uk and view it without the www infront of the domain name.

Cheers

Scorp

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. falko

Can you post your domain name so that I can check?

5. scorpious

scorpious Member

Hi falko

I have sent you a pm with the domain

Cheers

Scorp

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. rwinslow

rwinslow New Member

Helping hand

Hi there, I work for 123-reg, if you want me to check the settings on our side, DM me the domain name, two name servers and IP addresses, I can then check that out for you.

Richard.

7. falko

Code:
    server1:~# dig ns myhost.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R1 <<>> ns myhost.co.uk
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31029
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;myhost.co.uk.           IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    myhost.co.uk.    43200   IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns.123-reg.co.uk.[/COLOR][/B]
    myhost.co.uk.    43200   IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns2.123-reg.co.uk.[/COLOR][/B]

;; Query time: 61 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Jan 28 16:39:52 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

server1:~#
    Your domain is controlled by the 123reg nameservers, so you must manage your DNS records in 123reg's web interface, not in ISPConfig.

8. scorpious

scorpious Member

Hi falko

Apologies for not answering sooner, but I have been reading loads of how to and the ISPConfig 3 manual.

After reading up on DNS Settings I thought I give a go.

I have setup a New Zone using the wizard, using the following

server1.hostings.zapto.org << name from no-ip

Zone (SOA) myhosting.co.uk (replace name here with the one in a pm)
    [​IMG]

I have set in the 123.reg nameservers the following:
    [​IMG]

In the Manage DNS Section I have this

[​IMG]

Is the above correct ?

Also I have waited for over 24hrs, and I can see the website when I enter www.myhosting.co.uk, it seams to resolve ok.

what do I need to do to make subdomains for that site, as I have tried to make a subdomain but am unable to view it.

I used subdomain as the name >>> subdomain.myhosting.co.uk, I went to clients, login, went to websites, then clicked on subdomains for website.

I entered host as subdomain
    Domain as myhosting.co.uk
    Redirect Type No Flag ( I have tried all the options in Redirect type and waited aleast 30mins for each one)
    Redirect Path /subdomain/

I have read about using wildcards * but am unsure on how to use it.

Any Advise

Cheers

Scorp

9. falko

First, it makes no sense to create MX records at 123reg if your domain is managed by ISPConfig's DNS server (and vice versa). Second, it's a bad idea to run a nameserver on a dynamic IP. :eek:

10. scorpious

scorpious Member

Hi Falko

Thank you for your reply.

After having alate night last night I released that there was no need to change the mx-records at 123, so I changed themback to the default settings.

As I stated in my first post, I am doing testing on a local machine, before I move it to a Data Center local to me (10mins drive from where I live)

Things I need to learn:

DNS Settings : got most of it
    How to setup Sub Domains : No sure
    Backup Server : Found information in forums, sorted I hope
    Security : Found information in forums

Reason why local testing, to get knowledge of ispconfig and how to using the setting correctly and a good basic understanding of the system, also to save money, learn it at home before I start to pay a monthly bill for the Data Center, yes I am tight with money :p

Still not sure how to setup subdomains :confused:

Any advise would be appreciated

Cheers

Scorp

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Click on new website, enter sub.domain.com into the domain field and click on save. Thats described in the manual in detail.