DNS and IP Problems

Discussion in 'General' started by helios, Nov 18, 2006.

1. helios

helios New Member

Hi all,

I have an Ubuntu draper server setup using the guide on this site. ISPConfig is all working fine, and when I use my registrar or EVERYDNS.net to point my domain to my server, it all works. I do however want more (As any man wants ;) ) I would like it so that all I, or a customer has to do is go to their registar panel, and type in ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain .com instead of having to point it to everydns.net nameservers and then me having to add the domain each time. After looking for the past 3 days with no joy on my issue, i have decided to post my question up and hope for someone to help.

Currently i have done the following:

My domains registrar is namecheap.com and at the control panel there, i have registered the nameservers : ns1.mydomain.com with my servers IP (public IP) and ns2.mydomain.com with the same IP as the one assigned to ns1....

I then applied these to the domain by adding them to the nameservers the domain should use. (we are still at namecheap atm)

I then logged into my ispconfig panel, and went to management>settings> then to dns tab, and added the ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to the DNS options. Then i went to the DNS-Manager and added a "new master" i added the following details:
    Domain (SOA) : mydomain.com
    IP address: 192.168.1.6
    Under the options tab i only changed the nameserver 1 and 2 fields to:
    ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
    Then under records tab i added A Records:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my internet IP) and hostname - ns1.mydomain.com
    and
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my internet IP - same as aboves ip) and hostname - ns2.mydomain.com

I then saved all this, and checked my whois:
    it showed that mydomain.com had the nameservers: ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
    however it wasn't resolving - and just came up as time out when i went to mydomain.com
    I then went and checked the A entry check at dnsstuff.com and it showed this error:

Response:

Invalid DNS packet: Port Unreachable

the NS check came up as follows:

mydomain.com. NS IN 172800 ns1.mydomain.com.

mydomain.com. NS IN 172800 ns2.lmydomain.com.

ns1.mydomain.com. A IN 172800 xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ns2.mydomain.com. A IN 172800 xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

anyone help?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. helios

helios New Member

Thanks for the reply,

I have seen this link on many posts while i was searching for my answer. However, correct me if i am wrong, but this is if you have 2 servers:
    "To do this, you need two servers with two different public IP addresses and with ISPConfig installed, and of course a GoDaddy account."

I only have 1 server with ISPconfig installed, and only 1 public IP address.

Please advise if i have mistaken what this howto was for.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To run your own nameservers with most registrars (incl. Godasddy if i remember correctly), you need 2 servers or at least two different IP addresses for your server.

The only workorounds I see for your situation is either to use the DNS services from godaddy or to use your server as primary DNS server and a free secondary DNS service as secondary DNS.