DNS and ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by atjensen11, Feb 19, 2009.

1. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

I am setting up ISPConfig on a new server. Right now, the server is a test server and it is running next to the current production server. The production server is doing everything I want it to do (web, ftp, email, etc) but is all manually administered which is why ISPConfig is so attractive to me.

The current production server is configured with a private IP (192.168.x.x) and is behind a firewall and a gateway router with a static public IP address. So all ports are forwarded from the router to the production server.

For the new server with ISPConfig, I went about setting up the server again with a private IP (192.168.xx.x). It too is behind a gateway router with ports forwarded.

My question comes down to how ISPConfig handles DNS entries. By default, it appears that when new records are added to the DNS entries, the IP address listed is always the private server address.

Do I need to configure the ISPConfig server network interface with the static public IP address in order for DNS to work correctly with ISPConfig?

Secondly, on my current production server, BIND is configured to run in split view mode. So for clients on the private network, DNS lookups return the servers' private IP addresses. Public clients get the gateway routers public IP addresses. Can ISPConfig operate in a similar environment?

I don't really expect ISPConfig to configure the split view DNS, but if I set it up manually, will ISPConfig overwrite my changes during the next update?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig does not support split mode for bind.

If you run your server behind a router, just enter your internal IP in the website settings and the external Ip in the dns settings.