DNS and Name Server

Discussion in 'General' started by gorolla, Jul 3, 2006.

1. gorolla

gorolla New Member

Hi,

I am following the setup from http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy to setup my own Name Server.

However I have encounter a problem when I reach the dig commands, when I run, dig ns1.mydomain.com, I get the following;

server1:~ # dig ns1.mydomain.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> ns1.mydomain.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57822
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns1.mydomain.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ns1.mydomain.com. 3267 IN A 203.173.40.87

;; Query time: 367 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Jul 3 10:11:08 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 49

which seems like what the tutorial has. However after I reach the step, where you run the command for testing, dig @ns1.mydomain.com any otherdomain.com.au, then I get the following error,

server1:~ # dig @ns1.mydomain.com any otherdomain.com.au

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @ns1.mydomain.com any otherdomain.com.au
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Just wondering why is this the case? Thank you.

Also another thing in the tutorial it says I need to wait for sometime after the configuration with Godaddy.com, but how do I found out the configuration is working properly as a registered Name Server with Godaddy.com? Thank you.

Jeff

2. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

You dont have a nameserver you have a subdomain called ns2... ns2.... in order for you to have a fully functional nameserver you need to have your subdomain added to the nameserver register.

http://www.verisign.com/information-services/index.html

if you follow the above link and click on the whois link on the right handside of the page you can serach for nameservers. If you put yours in it wont come back with anything.....

Thats when you contact the registrar of your domain and ask them to put your two nameservers onto the register.

Hope this helps.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Make sure that BIND is running and that your firewall doesn't block port 53 (TCP and UDP).

DNS changes can take up to 72 hours until they propagate. Afterwards, your tests should work, or you did something wrong.

4. gorolla

gorolla New Member

another question

Thanks mphayesuk and falko for your reply.

I just have another dumb question, do I must have 2 servers running on different IP address in order to setup the nameserver? or it can work with just single IP address and 1 server. Thank you.

Sorry about this. I am a newbie with Linux.

Jeff

5. TheRudy

TheRudy ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can have only 1 server with 1 IP and run your own DNS. I have it and it works just fine. Not optional cause if your server goes down, everything will be unreachable.
    btw, to have two different IP's for your ns1 and ns2. Try by contacting your internet provider and ask them if they can do redirection to your server for NS2. So you use their dns as slave and NS1 is used on your server as master.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Most registrars require that you have two different DNS servers.