DNS/Apache/HTTPD/PHP permissions

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by ACDII, May 8, 2009.

1. ACDII

ACDII Member

Hi there. I have a question I need answered so I can move forward with my project. I have an internal management server for my network, it runs Rancid, and DNS for itself. I have a hosts domain setup which works fine, does what I need it to do. The problem is admining the DNS easily. Only a token few here know enough about bind to add or change the records. I built a web based front end to add, remove or change a record and search the record. The problem I have is getting the front end to access R/RW the file without breaking or compromising the DNS server.

What do I need to do to setup permissions so the web front I built, which has its own authentication, to be able to read and write to the zone file?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can add the Apache user to the group of the zone files. Then change the permissions on the zone files so that the group has write permissions.

Another solution might be to use a MySQL-based DNS server such as MyDNS or PowerDNS.

3. ACDII

ACDII Member

I think I ot it, in the groups file, add the user for httpd to the named group, and set the directory to rw?