DNS Configuration doesn't resolve my sites (can't see them browser)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by learning, Nov 30, 2006.

1. learning

learning New Member

My Problem:

I can't see my newly created sites on my Web Browser. Here is my configuration below. Any ideas??

I believe this is the way it was configured with the last server and all three sites worked fine.

Have two Wesites both of which respond to one the main nameserver/domain

Name Servers (two IP addresses on one box): ns1.mymaindomain.us >> 69.xx.yyy.zza and
    ns2.mymaindomain.us >> 69.xx.yyy.zzb

A Record
    IP-Adresse Hostname
    69.xx.yyy.zza www
    69.xx.yyy.zza ns1.mymaindomain.us
    69.xx.yyy.zza ns2.mymaindomain.us
    69.xx.yyy.zza mymaindomain.us

CNAME
    Hostname Target
    www.mymaindomain.us mymaindomain.us

MX
    Mailserver Hostname
    www.mymaindomain.us www

Site#1 (Site#2 is identical)
    A Record
    IP-Adresse Hostname
    69.xx.yyy.zza www.site1.com
    69.xx.yyy.zza site1.com
    69.xx.yyy.zza mail.site1.com

CNAME
    Hostname Target

MX
    Mailserver Hostname
    www.mymaindomain.us www

Any Ideas???

Signed,

2. learning

learning New Member

One day later

One day later this is what I've done,

I had no choice but to configure my sites from the Webmin Bind DNS console. Any modifications done in ISPConfig was not being recognized by the Server and there were no error generated. All Record settings that I did to get my sites back up had to be done out of ISPCONfig. There is no communication with regards to Records configuration. Why? I have no idea. I tried diligently but came up blank since yesterday.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening ?? ANy ideas would be appreciated. Plus, I really was hoping I could use the ISPConfig program.

Rgds,

Richard

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Using ISPConfig together with another configuration program like webmin on the same server might cause your error you get.

Have a look at the ISPConfig logfile /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log for errors.

4. learning

learning New Member

ISPConfig.log file

The error log file is very long so I only included the last page. I really needed to get my three sites up since they were down too many days. Using the Webmin / BIND DNS CP gave me my sites back for now. It's a shame that after trying to get the ISPConfig program to work properly for five days now, I still can't use it. I'm sure it's very powerful but for now, it just looks nice. Would be nice to get it to work properly. I still have to get my e-mail working since ISPConfig uses different format than I had on my previous server with Plesk. I've been without e-mail since last week and I have a very busy e-mail account.

Error file contents (partial): I can sent the whole file through e-mail if you wish.

30.11.2006 - 16:03:17 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_sendmail.lib.php, Line 96: cp -fr /etc/mail/local-host-names /etc/mail/local-host-names~
    30.11.2006 - 16:03:17 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_sendmail.lib.php, Line 238: cp -fr /etc/mail/virtusertable /etc/mail/virtusertable~
    30.11.2006 - 16:03:17 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 1230: cp -fr /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf~
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_system.lib.php, Line 696: /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd stop &> /dev/null
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 58: cp -f /var/log/xferlog /var/log/xferlog.30-11-06_23-59-01
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 60: touch /var/log/xferlog.ispconfigsave
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 61: cat /var/log/xferlog >> /var/log/xferlog.ispconfigsave
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_system.lib.php, Line 696: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop &> /dev/null
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => WARN - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_system.lib.php, Line 696: WARNING: could not /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd start &> /dev/null
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php, Line 53: cp -f /var/log/maillog /var/log/maillog.30-11-06_23-59-01
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 96: cat /dev/null > /var/log/xferlog.www.mywebsite1.com
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 121: rm -f /var/log/xferlog.www.mywebsite1.com
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 96: cat /dev/null > /var/log/xferlog.www.mywebsite2.org
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 121: rm -f /var/log/xferlog.www.mywebsite2.org
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 96: cat /dev/null > /var/log/xferlog.www.mywebsite3.us
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 121: rm -f /var/log/xferlog.www.mywebsite3.us
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:02 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php, Line 124: rm -f /var/log/xferlog.30-11-06_23-59-01
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:03 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_system.lib.php, Line 696: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start &> /dev/null
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:03 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php, Line 132: rm -f /var/log/maillog.www.mywebsite1.com
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:03 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php, Line 132: rm -f /var/log/maillog.www.mywebsite2.org
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:03 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php, Line 132: rm -f /var/log/maillog.www.mywebsite3.us
    30.11.2006 - 23:59:03 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php, Line 134: rm -f /var/log/maillog.30-11-06_23-59-01

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you disable SELinux? What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /root/ispconfig
    ?

6. learning

learning New Member

Thank you

Thank you for helping me. I just deleted all ISPConfig directories, databases, etc.. and re-installed. That worked (fourth time).

Only have two unrelated problems now.

1. After deleting al references to an old mail "user name" it still says duplicate name. It's Crazy.

2. Can't get POP3 "Online". ( can start Sendmail or Postfix but still no POP service. I will search the Forum once again.

Thanks for responding.

7. till

The user is in the recycle bin. I told you that already. Or the username has been in /etc/passwd before you installed ISPConfig and is now blocked by the blacklist file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users
    Did you follow one of the perfect setup guides, if not, reconfigure your mailsystem according to the perefct setup!

8. learning

learning New Member

1 of two resolved

Hello Till,

Thank you for the direct responses.

Problem# 1 - I had cleared the Recycle Bin previously as had stated. I did delete the Unix user completely as well. The problem went away when I checked the "user" file that you mentioned. All of the previoius user names were there. Went ahead and erased them, problem solved ! : )

Problem#2 - The POP3 and SMTP services show "Offline" but it seems I can't access my mailserver. "Dnsstuff.com" DNS test reports I don't have any "MX" records for the Domain, therefore I cannot receive mail at this Domain. I double checked the entry at the ISConfig CP and they are there. Loking in my Webmin>BIN DNS records screen, it shows the MX record is also there, MySQL database also shows it's there, so what's going on? It seems the MX record is not accessible even though it has been configured. I will continue to look into this very problem of mine. My simple MX record below.

Hostname Mailserver
    mydomain.com mail.mydomain.com

RGDS, Richard

9. till

The hostname field must be empty in the MX settings. Your current configuration results in a MX record: mydomain.com.mydomain.com => mail.mydomain.com.

10. learning

learning New Member

Can't connect to Mailserver

Hello Till,

Once again, thank you for your direct response.

I did notice the zone config file showed the hostname entry twice just as demonstrated above. I wondered where it was comming from. So I went ahead and did what you said and wala, I have an MX record : ). BUT read below.

DNSstuff.com reports passes the test for MX records now but it still says it can't connect to the mail server. I tried disabling the ISPConfig firewall, no help. I tried connecting with "UEBIMAI" mail program and although it actually logged me in, it also had errors.

DNSStuff.com error
    ERROR: I could not complete a connection to any of your mailservers!

mail.mydomain.com: Could not connect without glue or A record.

Till: I have do have an A record " mail.mydomian.com>>xx.xx.xxx.xxx ",so ??

If this is a timeout problem, note that the DNS report only waits about 40 seconds for responses, so your mail *may* work fine in this case but you will need to use testing tools specifically designed for such situations to be certain.

UEBIMAIU error
    There were errors in the process

Please login again

System message: Error connecting to the server

Logout

Note: If the "hostname" entry in the CP is supposed to be left blank, then why have the entry field? I'm tempted to just delete the field from the "Forms" designer. The option did cost me a great deal of time. Just my thought.

Best RGDS, Richard

11. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you post your real domain name here?