DNS configuration/setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zatang90210, Jan 13, 2009.

1. zatang90210

zatang90210 New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this and have taken over this stuff from someone else.

uname -a
    Linux engfs01.eng.abc.com 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here is the problem. I have my website hosted at an external provider Netfirms. I can access the website for e.g. using www.abc.com just fine from outside my LAN, but from inside, it gives me a Server not found error. Trying to open abc.com works fine from both inside and outside.

Any idea what may be wrong? I also have CNAMEs for mail.abc.com etc etc that have been setup for going to google apps. I think somewhere an entry for www.abc.com may also have been setup to go to google apps instead of netfirms. How do I correct this?

Thanks
    Bert

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

This is a case where you have internal DNS and external DNS setup, your internal DNS points somewhere else and your external to somewhere else.

You need to make the change in the zone file of your internal DNS server.

3. zatang90210

zatang90210 New Member

ok, but I am new to this. Where do I locate the zone file of my internal DNS. Sorry if this is a dumb question and what exactly do I change there.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can find the location of your zone files in your named.conf (which is in /etc or /etc/bind, depending on your distribution).