DNS Hosting Strategy: host DNS server or not?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by oncletom, Apr 24, 2009.

1. oncletom

oncletom New Member

Hello again and again ;-)

So I've setup ISPConfig and the last point I block on is DNS configuration.
    My dedicated server has 1 main IP and 2 other "failover" IPs. I assigned them in ISPConfig and in the network interface file.

However I manage my domain and server through OVH provider and their way of work is little bit different.

I configured a domain so as its NS1 aims to my first failover IP (with an associated reverse DNS) and NS2 to my provider DNS service (snds1.ovh.net). This service (I have to configure on the provider interface) permits me to redeclare the NS1 on this sdns1.

The second part is the configuration of the DNS on ISPConfig. I'm pretty sure I miss something here.
    [​IMG]

The provided NS is the failover IP I talked earlier.

I think the Apache part is OK because when I edit the /etc/hosts of my personal computer and aims the domain name to my box IP, the website is displayed.

Which brings me to my second question: instead of creating 2 NS for each domain I want to host, the best thing is not to configure a dedicated domain and then, I aims all domains I want to host on its NS?
    I saw a procedure which involves 2 servers but it's not suitable for me: I don't want to buy 2 servers whereas I use only 1.

I previously did that with Webmin on an old dedicated server so I'm a little bit lost with the ISPConfig interface.

Thanks for your help :)

2. oncletom

oncletom New Member

Well at least my first trouble was due to the presence and running of Bind9, installed by default with Debian.
    MyDNS was running too but its DNS rules were not read.

For the other case, I'll try on my side.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The problem is that many registrars won't accept your nameservers if they donn't use different IPs (this could be solved by using two IP addresses on one server). Even worse, some registrars accept your nameservers only if they are in different subnets.

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I actually found that most domain registrars have no problem with just entering one IP for nameservers or pointing nameservers to the same ip. I found that denic doesn't support that but international registrars do.

5. oncletom

oncletom New Member

My hosting provider is great on this point: I can choose additional IPs on various subnet. It's up to me.
    I can also declare Glue Host, what I did.

It seems to work for now.