DNS Internal-External Zones

Discussion in 'General' started by dolmax, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dolmax

dolmax New Member

I have Firestarter firewall installed on my ispconfig server. I've placed the system between my company network and the Net. The server provides NAT services for my local area network, without any problems.

The issue is;
    as my modem does not have "NAT IP loopback" capability, the clients on the LAN can not reach to the server with its qualified name (example.com). When they type in "example.com", the DNS resolves to the WAN IP. Then the modem would answer such HTTP requests.

In the old days I was using Qmailrocks package for all my e-mail services and was able to configure my DNS zones manually. Now with your application, all I can do is add a few more lines to DNS files - after the comment -. But in order to create an "internal" DNS lookup zone, I need to make changes in the beginning of the file (which I'm not allowed to).

For example,
    WAN IP: 222.111.222.111
    Server's WAN IP: 10.0.0.2
    LAN IP: 192.168.1.1

I need to define 192.168.1.1 as the internal IP of my server in the named.conf file, so when the local clients type in "example.com", they're directed to 192.168.1.1, but not to 222.111.222.111.

What would you suggest?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could modify the templates in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf (save the modified templates in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/customized_templates), e.g. the named.conf template. You could then configure BIND with "views" (see http://www.howtoforge.com/two_in_one_dns_bind9_views ).