DNS. Is a dedicated Domain Name required for DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Philman, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Philman

Philman New Member

Apologies in advance for this naive question: Do I need a domain name that I use solely for DNS purposes when hosting multiple websites on one IP address?

I've been learning ISPConfig 3 on an Ubuntu 16.04 server (virtual box on windows dektop). In following the tutorials I gave my server the name testserver.test.com and the names servers ns1.testserver.test.com and ns2.testserver.test.com respectively. I gave the hosted websites the names of actual domains I own.

This would imply that with a real world implementation needs a new domain name to use in place of test.com.

Is this necessary or can I safely use one of the hosted domain names as my name server as well as for a website. If it is possible is it bad practice to do so?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You certainly don't have to register a domain just for your DNS's nameservers to live at. You can use a hosted domain name, but you would want to make sure it's something that's likely to stick with the ispconfig install, ie. not a customer's domain name, and make sure it's something you won't be moving that domain anywhere in the future. If you have a domain name for hour webhosting service, you could just use something on there.