DNS issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lilfleebyte, Nov 30, 2018.

1. lilfleebyte

lilfleebyte New Member

Running 3.1 stable on VPN multiserver setup with 2 servers, one is just a DNS slave.
    I have 3 websites, 2 pushed by Godaddy DNS to ispconfig and one I have taken over.
    The two directed to me by Godaddy are perfect. ( An incredible miracle in my world)
    The 3rd is having one burbble. I'm running wordpress and created a .htacces file in the wp-admin folder, as I did with the other two sites. Now comes the problem. The "deny all" works, but the allow from xx.xx.xx.xx is not working. After a few days of fiddling it seems that my DNS is not allowing the redirect for ME to login. I switched back to godaddy DNS and site works proper so it is my DNS. The front of the site works without issue. Oh someone please help.. T I L L ?

2. What is VPN going to do here, did you mean VPS ?
    Anyway, please give more infos about your setup...
    Are servers on your LAN, outside ?
    What is the allowed IP in .htaccess ? Local or public ?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. lilfleebyte

lilfleebyte New Member

Thanks Electro..VPS VPN, I have 2 physical servers in my backroom with ispconfig on them as usual, sorry if my terminalogy is nfg.
    The servers are behind a router. The allowed ip is private and that has always worked till now at first attempt with ispconfig and my own name servers. Keep helpin, its much appreciated...please

4. Do you connect to your servers through a VPN ? (even if they're on LAN, that's possible)

5. lilfleebyte

lilfleebyte New Member

No, straight nat from public IP to my private LAN which is just a single LAN. I followed Perfect server UBUNTU 18.04 and the manual I bought from ISPCONFIG. It started as a standard single all in one install then I added a second dns server. I guess really it has nothing to do with VPS or VPN. I thought thats what this thing was called. I guess realistically its called 2 servers in my back room!

6. Do you try to access your servers from outside or on your LAN ?
    Please be more detailled about server IPs, yours, the .htaccess file and the DNS settings

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

8. lilfleebyte

lilfleebyte New Member

Taleman or Electro or other, first thanks all. Can I ask a somewhat related Q? It seems that all my problems are tracking back to SSL on Apache. How do I cover the server(apache with lets encrypt)? My scheme that kinda worked was/is that I made a website. Lets say the server is FQDN server1.example .com then the website is example .com . I then letsencrypted the example .com then shared the ssl with all server services including ispconfig interface. Well this as I said kinda worked, however the ispconfig interface is only green locked on example .com not on other sites. Stop me here if this infact is the correct way. Else how do I do the reverse. Make the website server1.example.com then alias it to be just example.com with www then cover the server..? Is is my question the answer?

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter