Dns issues

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by RingofFire, Jun 27, 2007.

1. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

I recently moved from plesk back to ISPconfig for the second time, and once again I cant get DNS working. The problem this time seems to be different.

I have two domains(and others, but Ill worry about them after these two work)

appalhost.info and xenotype.net

My registrar is 1and1, and the way Ive always done it is to use two subdomains of appalhost.info (ns1.appalhost.info and ns2.appalhost.info) as my nameservers. These I create at the registrar and are not on my server. The A record of the subdomains point to each of my server's two ips (207.210.77.119 and 65.254.53.154)

Works in plesk fine. I got it working for ISPConfig once before.

Ive created both domains on my server, the nameservers are correct for each.

Yet Im getting no dns for them at all. Whois says the nameservers are right, but they wont work.

I have a shallow understanding of dns in many places so forgive me for any blatant stupidity.

Here is the output of netstat -tap
    Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      16070/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:http                      *:*                         LISTEN      9553/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:hosts2-ns                 *:*                         LISTEN      9523/ispconfig_http
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      14009/proftpd: (acc
    tcp        0      0 svr.appalhost.info:domain   *:*                         LISTEN      19962/named
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      9463/sshd
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      14110/master
    tcp        0      0 svr.appalhost.info:rndc     *:*                         LISTEN      19962/named
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0    888 207.210.77.119:ssh          adsl-222-162-3.clt.be:50351 ESTABLISHED 3435/0

And the contents of hosts
    Code:
    127.0.0.1  svr.appalhost.info 207.210.77.119 65.254.53.154 svr server localhost localhost.localdomain
    All services are up and running fine including bind.

What am I missing?

2. mlz

mlz Member

What happens if you do a:

Code:
     # host www.appalhost.info 207.210.77.119
    This way your checking the DNS server direct.

Error messages from bind are generally in the /var/logs/messages

3. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Sorry, forgot to mention the distro, Fedora 5 64 bit.

host command isnt found

there are no errors in messages

4. mlz

mlz Member

Code:
    # nslookup www.appalhost.info 207.210.77.119

That should work or there's more wrong then just your DNS...

5. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Nope doesnt work.

Some utilities may be missing from my server.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

7. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Im missing the dig command too. Im running this server on a virtuozzo VPS, so their image may be missing some parts that I need to yum, but I dont know what the yum command to install dig is.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

On Debian the package is called dnsutils. You can search for the appropriate Fedora package like this:
    Code:
    yum search dnsutils
    yum search dig

9. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Nope, cant yum dnsutils or dig by itself or nslookup by itself

10. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Any help? Any reason why I cant get those utilities?

11. falko

Unfortunately I don't know how the package is named on Fedora. You could try to search for DNS related packages like this:
    Code:
    yum search dns

12. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Got it, bind-utils

Theres the results.

So whats going on? Are my domains just lost in the internet cloud?

13. till

Ok, the above means that no DNS server is running on localhost. Please post the output of:

netstat -tap

and the content of the file /etc/hosts

14. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Sorry for the delay in response, I was waiting for a new post email about it, but never got one.

Already posted in the first post.

15. till

The content of your /etc/hosts file seems to be corrupt. Please try to replace it with the following content:

Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
    207.210.77.119 svr.appalhost.info svr server

16. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

I did but it still seems to be the same problem. I tried restarting named but still the domains arent resolving.

17. falko

Is port 53 open in your firewall (TCP and UDP)?

18. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Yes. Checked the ISPConfig CP and Virtuozzo Panel. Firewall isnt blocking 53 on TCP or UDP.

19. till

Maybe a instance of named is hanging and can not be stopped or restarted by the init script. Please stop named, then check with "netstat -tap" that there is really no instance of named running anymore.

20. RingofFire

RingofFire New Member

Code:
    [root@svr ~]# service named stop
    Stopping named: .                                          [  OK  ]
    [root@svr ~]# netstat -tap
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      16070/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:http                      *:*                         LISTEN      9553/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:hosts2-ns                 *:*                         LISTEN      9523/ispconfig_http
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      1890/proftpd: (acce
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      9463/sshd
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      2007/master
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      6091/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 svr.appalhost.info:39993    svr.appalhost.info:rndc     TIME_WAIT   -
    tcp        0    888 207.210.77.119:ssh          adsl-222-162-3.clt.be:50147 ESTABLISHED 27986/0
    [root@svr ~]#

That doesn't appear to be the problem, but I don't know.