DNS Mirroring to ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by ashokjp, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ashokjp

ashokjp New Member

DNS Mirroring

I understand this is a topic which has been widely discussed but I couldnt find my exact query, so starting a new topic.

I have setup a second server for the purpose of secondary nameservers. I need ISPConfig to mirror dns to it.

In the second server, i setup up ISPConfig with just DNS Configuration and entered mutliserver setup details and got the server successfully added to server 1.

From the server 1 interface, i chose the "is a mirror of server" option.

But the mirroring of dns records never happens ?

####################
    how does ISPConfig send dns records in a mirror setup ?
    -->both servers have been installed with centos 6 minimal image. so if it depends on any addon packages, i need to install them manually.

Should server1 have some SSH key authorization or something configured for it to send files automatically to server2 ?
    -->both servers are on entirely different network and zones. Just to make sure if nameserver 1 goes down, other still works

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

See last chapter of this post for debug instructions.

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58408

The most likely reason is that the hosts files were not set before the slave was installed as described in the multiserver guides, this results then in a disconnect of master and slave server as mysql can not verify the login details of the slave on the master.

3. ashokjp

ashokjp New Member

Tim,

host files were set, and also while running ispconfig install via php-cli, it added the server correctly to the main server.

I could see the backup ns server on main server web interface too.

But just mirroring dint work ?

Do i have to setup some SSH key based (password less) for both servers? How is the records transferred while in mirror setup ?

4. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You should debug your mirror and verify the mysql-password / user / permissions. You don´t need ssh or anything else - only a working mysql-connection.

5. ashokjp

ashokjp New Member

So the dns zones are transferred through mysql ?

are they requested from client or pushed from server ?

mysql connection is ok from client to server because, thats how the secondary server name got added to the main server web interface

is there any parameter for server to connect back to client ?

6. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig transfers everything to other servers through mysql and additional servers connect to the master-server to receive their changes / updates.

Read and follow post #2.

7. ashokjp

ashokjp New Member

Got this working. Started from scratch.

The error was ISPConfig added database user ispcsrv2 was added with no permissions to dbispconfig. i manually gave them read permissions and that fixed the whole issue.

Also had some hurdles getting installation through with instructions in ispconfig manual.

Best way is to setup mysql, php and named as per the perfect guide here and then go ahead with ispconfig installation with just dns, then go to master server and manually fix permissions for the database user ispcsrv2

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The permisions of the ispcsrv2 user will be correct when the setup of the hosts files is correct, like I mentioned in #2.

Thats a different connection whch will even work with wrong hosts file setup.