DNS not created for new sites

Discussion in 'General' started by robd, Jun 4, 2007.

1. robd

robd New Member

I've been poking this all afternoon and not got anywhere, so now comes the forum post. One of ISPconfig instances I run does not appear to be able to create new DNS entries. I can add a new site (with DNS+MX selected) yet the zone does not show up on the DNS Manager tab for management.

I am running FC5 and ISPConfig Version: 2.2.9. Server is setup as per HowToForge Perfect Setup with chrooted named.

One newly created domain has got as far as writing a pri.domain.tld file in /var/named/chroot/var/named... Another newly created domain has not even got that far.... For the first domain, I can see the file in named's chroot but I do not see the info in the DNS administrator pages....

I have double checked my settings for the bind chroot in web front end... all the other sites on the server are being correctly resolved on DIG from a remote location....

Any thoughts anyone?

2. robd

robd New Member

updated my installation...

upgraded to ISPConfig Version: 2.2.13 and done some more basic checks....

In the interface... Management, Server, Settings, DNS...
    named.conf --> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
    Zonefiles dir --> /var/named/chroot/var/named

[root@ns5 install_ispconfig]# ls -l /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 3428 Jun 4 12:32 /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
    [root@ns5 install_ispconfig]# ls -l /var/named/chroot/var/named
    total 272
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Oct 11 2006 chroot -> ../../
    drwxrwx--- 2 named named 4096 Aug 25 2004 data
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 198 Mar 9 2006 localdomain.zone
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 195 Mar 9 2006 localhost.zone
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 427 Mar 9 2006 named.broadcast
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 2518 Mar 9 2006 named.ca
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 424 Mar 9 2006 named.ip6.local
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 426 Mar 9 2006 named.local
    -rw-r----- 1 root named 427 Mar 9 2006 named.zero
    <snip - all my pri.* files>
    drwxrwx--- 2 named named 4096 Jul 27 2004 slaves
    The named instance is running and resolving correctly named info but I still do not see newly created zones in the interface, nor are zones creating pri.domain.tld files...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. robd

robd New Member

Resolved?: No issue with DNS...read on...

In the end, there was no issue for the DNS at all. A bit of poking (and some recollection on my part) helped me to discover that is root cause was some remaining entries (5 match(es)) in the db_ispconfig for that domainname from the last time I had it setup on this server. Adding a new (never registered before) domain was OK, pri.zonefiles created OK.

I'm currently manually cleaning out the db_ispconfig and then going to try again to create these domains.