DNS - nslookup's - Stupid Question.

Discussion in 'General' started by SamTzu, Oct 4, 2007.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

I have a stupid question. :)

If I use nslookup from XP workstation that uses DNS settings from ISPConfig server, it answers back randomly selecting a domain name from the Bind server.

Exapmle...

If I use nslookup from some Linux server it answers with the "right" name for the DNS server. (Probably because of the "search" parameter in resolv.conf file.)

Is this a "feature" in M$ products or a mistake in my ISPConfig servers Bind configuration?

SamTzu

2. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

I guess it's not a stupid question since no one seems to know.:(

Sam

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's not really clear to me what you did and what exactly is the problem...

4. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

dns - nslookup

If I enter the command nslookup on my XP machine it will tell me that my dns server is ns1.domain1.com = "Enter here a random domain name from the bind server on the ISPConfig server."

Shouldn't it reply to me with the name of the ISPConfig server itself? Not with a random domain name from the bind?

Sam

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Sorry, but I still don't understand... :(

6. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

:)

Lets say I have 2 domains hosted in ISPConfig called server1.mydomain.com
    The names of these domains are...

ns1.domain7.com
    ns1.domain3.com

I also have a XP that uses server1 as an DNS server.
    I keep getting different replies from the DNS server as to its name.
    Default Server ...

If I have understood correctly the reply should indicate reverse DNS name.
    Most times this is something defined by ISP.
    Not a domain name from the ISPConfig.

Sam

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you use your ISPConfig server as DNS server, it might be that the reverse records come from ISPConfig. In this case, one of the domains that are assigned to this IP in ISPConfig DNS-Manager is returned.

8. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

DNS question.

I remember running in to this on my previous Fedora DNS server. Is this "normal" Bind behavior? Or is it a hostname issue? Or is it rather something to do with MS DNS? Or is it something to do with the reverse DNS (ISP) :rolleyes: :eek:

Do we have experts on DNS here?

Sam

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is a behaviour of ISPConfig if you use your ISPConfig server as local DNS server, as ISPConfig adds all domains as PTR records automatically. There should be no problem with this, as all users outside will see only the reverse record of your ISP and not the reverse records from ISPConfig.

10. jbravo

jbravo Member

What about having it as "slave zone"?
    For example:
    there is my another dns server which has authority for serving my subnet revdns and my ISPConfig server has IP address from this subnet. I don't want to act ISPConfig server as master of this subnet revdns.
    It gives me "unknown" lookups in mail log for our mailservers (revdns entries on main dns server and not on ispconfig) - because there is no entry in revdns on ISPConfig for these hosts.
    I can use this main dns server as first in /etc/resolv.conf on ispconfig server but it is weird.
    How can i tell (except manually editing named.conf) to ISPConfig to act as slave for reverse zone?
    Can i change it that ispconfig did not overwrite it from its internal database (editing master bind config?)?

BTW of course internet clients would have good lookups because they will be directed to main dns server which acts as master revdns for our subnet and not for ispconfig server.

GreetZ .:JbRavo:.