DNS on Mandriva 2007

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by cRacKya, Jan 24, 2007.

1. cRacKya

cRacKya New Member

Hi !

I have installed Mandriva 2007.0 official distribution to handle my web and mail. But now I have some trouble about DNS.

Can you help me please or guide me some where ?

best regard

Lars

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

What seems to be the problem?

3. cRacKya

cRacKya New Member

Before on my Mandriva 2006 could I ping my server and get the inside IP address.

4. martinfst

So you need to setup DNS entries, as you appear not to have a relation between your domain name and your IP. Are you authoritative for your domain or do you use a provider (like GoDaddy)?

5. cRacKya

cRacKya New Member

Its my own domain, on my own server behind a ADSL router.
    Now I can`t see my own homepage when i type my domain name in the browser without typing the IP address og servername.

sorry my bad english.

6. martinfst

Either post your domain name or IP, because there must be a DNS mismatch. If you don't want to post, execute yourself the following commands
    Code:
    dig -x <nn.nn.nn.nn>       [COLOR="Red"]<-- Your external IP[/COLOR]
    dig <domainname.tld>     [COLOR="Red"]<-- Your servername[/COLOR]
    You should get matching results in the ANSWER section. If not, your DNS is not setup correctly.

7. cRacKya

cRacKya New Member

could I mail my hostfiles to you, if you would look at them ?

8. martinfst

As an exception, you could sent me a PM. Include your wanted/used IP number and your wanted domain name. I will post the resolution here so others looking at these forums can benefit as well. It's up to you if you want that. If not, don't sent me a PM.

9. martinfst

As I suspected the DNS is not setup correctly. the domainname and all it's subdomains point to the external IP address of an ADSL connection.

The used 192.168 range in ISPConfig is for internal LAN usage and should not be exposed on the internet.

Being behind an ADSL router, I suggest to forward on your router the ports 80 (www), 25 (mail) and 21 (ftp) to the server. How to do that is dependent on your ADSL modem. Be aware, that sending emails directly from your server (after you get it up/running) is like sending from a dynamic IP, which many receivers don't like and in fact block. Consider to setup a mail relay solution.

After forwarding port 80, www.domain.tld should show you a site. Beware, that this is the only site you can have. I'm not sure but IIRC ISPConfig needs to have the external IP address configured (not your server!).

10. cRacKya

cRacKya New Member

Hi Martinfst

Thx.. :)

Regards