DNS outside of domain

Discussion in 'General' started by rockan, May 15, 2009.

1. rockan

rockan New Member

I have been using ISPConfig 2 for my own projects and I love it. Thank you so much.

I have a question about DNS in ISPCONFIG 3.

When I create a new website newdomain.com and I wish to use ns1.maindomain.com and ns2.maindomain.com as nameservers for newdomain.com which is also on the same ispconfig server.

When I try to set ns1.maindomain.com and ns2.maindomain.com in the settings for the newdomain.com and later check it with intodns.com.

It says nameserver
    ns1.maindomain.com.newdomain.com and
    ns2.maindomain.com.newdomain.com
    which doesnt work.

Is this a bug or am I supposed to create A records for ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com for every domain?

2. rdv25772

rdv25772 New Member

Just a dot

I think you need to add a dot behind the hostname of the nameservers. I have experience the same problem while adding a mailserver to my domain.

You should add a dot after it like ns1.maindomain.com. and ns2.maindomain.com.

The hostnames should have its own A record.

Don't ask me why. I only noticed it when I added a MX record to my own site and when I could not send an email to that domain.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Fully qualified domain names must always have a dot at the end. Thats the case for BIND and also for mydns. If you dont add a dot, it is a relative domain name which is relative to the zone.

For example: If you enter just this without a dot

ns1.maindomain.com

it will resolve to:

ns1.maindomain.com.maindomain.com

4. KillerSneak

KillerSneak New Member

I have the same problem with ISPconfig3 I can't add my:

ns1.donotarguehostedservers.com
    ns2.donotarguehostedservers.com

To my godaddy account (domain register) it says: they are not registerd? While my www.donotarguehostedservers.com and www.momazigh.com both seem to be working?

Any help regarding DNS would be nice as all documentation on ISPC3 or this whole site are unavailable, incomplete or there's just no documentation at all (one of the biggest negative points @ ISPC3 and it's developers, write some friggin documentation already, if you can code a whole app why not make note's allong the way?)