DNS problem

Discussion in 'General' started by dejan.b, Apr 29, 2010.

1. dejan.b

dejan.b New Member

Hello Guys!

I just installed ISPConfig 3.0.2.1 on CentOS 5.4 64-bit version.
    Everything is working like a charm, instead DNS!

During the process of instalation i had a problem configuring bind-chroot, i used the tutorial that came with ISPconfig, when i add line "include /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.local" in /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf bind won't start at all! in log it says: "error in named configuration /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.local file not found...

And yes, that file really doesn't exists, so i removed that line, and bind now starts.

There is few other "bigger" problems: :eek:

1. ISPConfig panel doesn't create zone filles in /var/named/chroot/var/named it creates in /var/named -- i specify location in server settings, but nope, it doesn't listening...

2. Zone files are missing NS entry.

3.It doesn't create zone entry in named.conf, so bind doesn't load zone at all...

Tried to change almost everything in server settings, named.conf locations, zone locations.... nothing, it' doesn't listen at all!

Tried to install non-chrooted bind, still the same situation.

Ispconfig 2 worked very well instead 3.0.2.1

Is this some known bug, or i it's misconfigured server?

Regards!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I use ispconfig 3 with BIND for all my domains and it works without a problem, so I guess there must be a misconfiguration on your system.

ISPConfig 3 is never writing to named.conf, it writes to a include file that is included at the end of the named.conf file. To work properly, the files must be in the default locations of the linux distribution. For centos these settings are used:

Code:
    $conf['bind']['installed'] = false; // will be detected automatically during installation
    $conf['bind']['bind_user'] = 'named';
    $conf['bind']['bind_group'] = 'named';
    $conf['bind']['bind_zonefiles_dir'] = '/var/named/chroot/var/named/';
    $conf['bind']['named_conf_path'] = '/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf';
    $conf['bind']['named_conf_local_path'] = '/var/named/chroot/var/named/named.local';
    $conf['bind']['init_script'] = 'named';
    The ns entrys are all in the file /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.local and this has to be included into the file /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.

Detailed installation instructions on how to install ispconfig 3 with bind on cenos can be found in the file INSTALL_CENTOS_5.4_dovecot_bind.txt in the docs directory of the ispconfig tar.gz file. Please check that you have done all the nescessary installation steps incl. tthe creation of named.conf etc.

From the installation manual:

Code:
    5) Install bind dns server

yum install bind-chroot

chmod 755 /var/named/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/var/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/var/named/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/var/run/
    chmod 777 /var/named/chroot/var/run/named/
    cd /var/named/chroot/var/named/
    ln -s ../../ chroot
    cp /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.6/sample/var/named/named.local /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.local
    cp /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.6/sample/var/named/named.root /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.root
    touch /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

vi /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    //
    // named.conf
    //
    // Provided by Red Hat bind package to configure the ISC BIND named(8) DNS
    // server as a caching only nameserver (as a localhost DNS resolver only).
    //
    // See /usr/share/doc/bind*/sample/ for example named configuration files.
    //

options {
            listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; };
            listen-on-v6 port 53 { ::1; };
            directory       "/var/named/chroot/var/named";
            dump-file       "/var/named/chroot/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
            statistics-file "/var/named/chroot/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
            memstatistics-file "/var/named/chroot/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";
            allow-query     { localhost; };
            recursion yes;
    };

logging {
            channel default_debug {
                    file "data/named.run";
                    severity dynamic;
            };
    };

zone "." IN {
            type hint;
            file "named.root";
    };

include "/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.local";
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chkconfig --levels 235 named on
    /etc/init.d/named start

3. dejan.b

dejan.b New Member

Hello!

Thank You for the answer!

I still doesn't understand, is there named.conf.local file by default installation, or i need to create it by myself? if yes, what i need to put inside that file?

I tried to reinstall ispconfig twice, i followed every steps from included installation guide, but same thing....

Regards!

4. till

The file named.conf.local will be created by ispconfig when you add the first zone file.

5. till

Centos is always a bit tricky to install and you have to compile several pacakges manually. I recommend that you use debian, the setup is much easier and debian is the recommended linux distribution for ispconfig.

6. dejan.b

dejan.b New Member

Thanks

Thanks Till for the support :) i will try to install ISPConfig on the Debian platform....

Regards!