DNS problem

Discussion in 'General' started by rbartz, Aug 31, 2016.

1. rbartz

rbartz Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a site hosted on an older server running ispconfig2. The owner of the site asked me to POINT the website to WIX but we will continue to serve email and to host a subdomain. The PROBLEM is that the website http://www.bpilabs.com points to WIX just fine but the http://bpilabs.com (without the www.) points to our server.

We set up the WIX pointing by creating a blank host A record to IP 23.236.62.147 and two CName records: www-> www67.wixdns.net & m-> www67.wixdns.net.

If we set the primary IP Address to 23.236.62.147 we lost mail services. Is there any way in ispconfig2 OR ISPCONFIG3 to set up the DNS to do what we are wanting?

Here is the DNS primary file: cat pri.bpilabs.com
    $TTL 86400
    @ IN SOA ns1.wvis3.net. admin.bpilabs.com. (
    2016083106 ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
    28800 ; refresh, seconds
    7200 ; retry, seconds
    604800 ; expire, seconds
    86400 ) ; minimum, seconds
    ;
    NS ns1.wvis3.net. ; Inet Address of name server 1
    NS ns1.wvis4.net. ; Inet Address of name server 2
    ;
    MX 10 www.wvis3.net.
    bpilabs.com. A 69.64.67.105
    coffee A 69.64.67.105
    bpilabs.com A 23.236.62.147
    www CNAME www67.wixdns.net.
    m CNAME www67.wixdns.net.
    bpilabs.com. TXT "v=spf1 mx ptr ~all"
    ;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

Thank you guys for all your help!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The domain without the w is the prinary IP, so you have to alter that. Thats not ispconfig specific btw. and the email service does not depends on that f setup correctly.

Normally you have a subdomain like mail.domain.tld or smtp.domain.tld which is used by the email clients to connect to the mail server, this a-record has to point to your mail system, then the mx record points to this a-record. The result is that the IP of the main domain (without www) can (and has to) point to the web server that hosts the domain and the mail system is independant from that.

3. rbartz

rbartz Member HowtoForge Supporter

Makes perfect sense. I think this will be much easier to do in ispconfig3 since I still need to host the coffee sub-domain and can set up mail services and so on there independently of the ISP Manager in ispconfig2. I need to move all my stuff off the old server to the new one soon anyway.

THANK YOU TILL!