DNS Propagation Delay

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by remz, Sep 2, 2009.

1. remz

remz New Member

Hello,

I have added a PTR record to a zone file whose TTL value is set to be one hour(3600 sec).Does the DNS propagation delay around the internet for this new PTR record which I've added depends upon TTL value?

Wouldn't it take more than the TTL value of my zone record so that all namservers update this info?? I believe it will take around 24 - 48 hours depending upon the robustness of each network.:confused:

Does anyone else out here have an answer which would prove that DNS propagation delay for a newly added zone record will depend only on the TTL value set of the zone file??:p

In other words, If I add "x PTR example.com." in a zone file (ie on my ns where I have access), will this info be propagated around the world in one hour???

:confused::confused:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It can take up to 72 hours until DNS changes propagate.

3. remz

remz New Member

Thank you falko :)

4. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can also change your TTL's to lower values.
    Note that many ISP's ignore this and enforce their own TTL's . This isnt a valid behaviour but may be forced for performance reasons.

5. remz

remz New Member

Dear Norman,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I was in search of getting an answer for the Question: "wouldn't it take more than 24 hours minimum( even if your TTL value is less than 24 hr), for the DNS change to propagate around the internet?".

I strongly agree to it, 'coz I've researched enough on this topic and has found that there are various parameters that attributes to this.

Thank you for your time in replying to my post and for sharing the information.:):)

regards,
    Remz(http://itsmeremz.blogspot.com)