DNS Question

Discussion in 'General' started by imnotpc, Jun 21, 2008.

1. imnotpc

imnotpc New Member

I'm a new ISPConfig user trying to figure out how to use the DNS Manager and I have a question about configuring reverse DNS records. Is see that ISPConfig creates reverse zone files and records automatically. My problem is that I can't find a way to edit these zone files directly. This is an issue because when I add an A record to one of the hosted zones the reverse record is assigned the domain of the server, not the domain I added the A record to. Alternately, I'm fine with using other tools to manage DNS, but I haven't found a way to disable the DNS module in ISPConfig. Any help is appreciated.

2. torusturtle

torusturtle Member

You don't have to disable the DNS module if you point to other name servers. ISPConfig will not be contacted for resolving your domains.

3. imnotpc

imnotpc New Member

True, but I need to use the ISPConfig server as the primary DNS server for those domains and I'd prefer to manage it all from the ISPConfig control panel. If that's not possible then I need to be sure ISPConfig doesn't accidentally overwrite my configuration.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Usually you don't have to care about the reverse zones because they are managed by your hoster/ISP/etc. so you should refer to them and ask them to set a reverse record for your IP.

5. imnotpc

imnotpc New Member

Yes, that works and will be the answer for now. However I have a block of IPs and I would prefer to manage the RDNS myself. Will ISPConfig 3 have the ability to edit reverse lookup records? If not I'd like to make a feature request. My php skills are limited, but I'd do what I can to help make this happen. Jeff