DNS Records as default tab

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Th0m, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I want to change the DNS soa edit form, so the first tab is the records tab, en the second tab will be called "options" instead of "Zone".
    I had this working in https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/merge_requests/1019, but this came with the problem that when creating the zone, it would go to the records page. I have been looking for a function to set the tab when clicking on a zone from the soa_list, but haven't got this working yet, does anyone know if a function exists for this?

We could also split the records and zone form, and show a gear icon in the soa_list. This would probably be confusing for people that already use ISPConfig when they see it for the first time, but I think it is not a big problem. What do you think?

ahrasis likes this.
  2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i'd agree, going into the dns, the only time the 'dns zone' tab needs to be the 1st one seen is when adding a zone manually.
    when anyone is going into the configuration of an already existing zone, 99.99% of the time, what they're going in for is to either add a new dns record, or edit an existing record, so it does make sense for the dns records tab to be the default entry point.

Th0m likes this.
  3. Th0m

I am planning to implement it this way, unless people are against this. I don't want to waste my time on code that won't be merged ;)

ahrasis likes this.
  4. Th0m

My plan is to split this to two forms: dns_soa_edit and dns_records_edit. To edit the SOA, I will add a button like we have on the sites tab for the stats, but with a gear icon. When creating a zone, dns_soa_edit will be used

5. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

To be honest I am not quite happy with this idea. Maybe we can discuss this at a later point of time.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I must admit that I don't like the idea of having two independent forms too. I think that it should be possible to find a way to link to the second tab directly.

7. Th0m

Okay, good thing I posted then ;)

I'll look into it. Though splitting it would still be a option for me, because most people don't change any preferences of the zone very often.

8. Th0m

till likes this.