DNS records in ISPConfig 3 contral panel

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by qiubosu, Dec 6, 2010.

1. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

if the ISPConfig hosting server behind a router and is with a local IP address, when setup the DNS records for the domains, should them point to the local IP address or the public static IP address? are there any difference between pointing to local and public static IP addresses?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

DNS records use the external IP.

3. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello till, but in my previous similar question to falko, he reply with the below answer:

You must use one of the IP addresses that you see in the output from the "ifconfig" command

If your server is in a local network, you must use a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.3.1), not your public IP address.

what is the difference between yours answers?

4. Nolan

Nolan Member

You want to point it to the external IP so everyone can see your changes, not just the people on your network.

If you were to point it to a LAN IP address, it would point to the Network of the domain registrar probably, and not yours.

5. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello, i asked the below question before, but got different answers, some said maybe pointing to local IP, while some maybe said public IP. can any super/senior member give a certain answer(not probably/maybe)? thanks.

if the ISPConfig 3 hosting server behind a router and is with a local IP address, when setup the DNS records for the domains and System (e.g. Server Config and Server IP addresses) in ISPConfig 3 control panel, should them point to the local IP address or the public static IP address? are there any difference between pointing to local and public static IP addresses?

6. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

in ispconfig 3 control panel, i made a mistake of going to System -> Server Config -> Server tab -> tick the checkbox of Network Configuration field and click Save, then there is no network connection(the OS is Ubuntu). this is because of some of the files for networking changed, but i don't know which files. it is much appreciated if anyone can tell me which files i need to look into, so i can edit those changed files. thanks.under Ubuntu OS)

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Check /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/hosts.

8. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

thanks falko

i have below questions:

1) when browsing to the hosted sites from WAN, LAN and the local hosting server, should the returned pages are all the same? if not, why that and does it matter?

2) the sites are unstable when browsing to them with different URLs, e.g.the returned pages are different when browsing to it with URLs, www.site-1.com, site-1.com or mail.site-1.com.

when there is nothing changed in my hosting system, sometimes the returned pages are all fine when browsing to it with these URLs, but sometimes got the "Page not found" error when browsing to it with some of the URLs (e.g. browse to it with www.site-1.com and site-1.com URLs and the returned pages are fine, but for the mail.site-1.com URL, it returns error)

9. falko

Yes.

If you created www and mail as subdomains in ISPConfig, they should all point to the same content.

10. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

i didn't create www and mail as its subdomains in ISPConfig, but i can see the mail.site-1.com as "Mailserver hostname" in its MX record and www as the "Hostname" in its A record (points to its IP address). could this be the problem cause the returning pages sometimes unstable when browsing to its www.site-1.com and mail.site-1.com? do i have to create www and mail subdomains?

11. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

In ISPConfig 3 control panel, click Email → Spamfilter → Whitelist, for the Priority drop down list, there are “1”,“2”,“3”,“4”,“5”,“6”,“7”,“8”,“9”,“10” there before, but now it shows “Module invalid”,“The username and password cannot be empty!”,“The username and/or password are not correct!”,“The username is deactivated!”,“Module not permitted for the current user”,“Module invalid”,“The username and password cannot be empty!”,“The username and/or password are not correct!”,“The username is deactivated!”,“10” instead. Why that? How can I fix it?

12. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko, till, i was assigned as a senior member, but i didn't require anything on this. may i ask what do you base on for this? sorry for the irrelevant question under this category. just curious. thanks.

13. falko

Under Sites > Websites > Webiste, when you create/edit a web site, you can select www. or *. as Auto-Subdomain. If you select www., only www.site-1.com will go to the same site as site-1.com, and if you want mail.site-1.com to go to site-1.com as well, you must create a subdomain for mail under Sites > Websites > Subdomain for website.

If you select *. as Auto-Subdomain, then creating a subdomain for mail is not required.

I have a request: please just ask one question at a time, and please open a new thread for a new topic - that makes it much, much easier for us to help you. :)