DNS replication optimisation

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by jpcyrenne, Nov 23, 2015.

1. jpcyrenne

jpcyrenne Member HowtoForge Supporter

Good Day,

Using ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p3 on CentOS6.7.

I transfered many zones from another system (Import - cPanel to ISPConfig) and I find my NS servers to be quite slow to replicate to users and different local providers. Usually should take 3-4 hours but seems to take 24 hours every time. I just changed the TTL to 600 (from 14400), can I bring down the other values (Expire and Minimum?).

ie: dns1.hostinpowers.com, dns2.hostinpowers.com

I want to know if I can optimize any of this? Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    Refresh Seconds
    Retry Seconds
    Expire Seconds
    Minimum Seconds
    TTL Seconds

Also, once I save a new A Record for instance (or modify anything in the Records tab) do I need to save in the DNS Zone after for it to take effect? Just want to be sure I do it right.

Thank you in advance,
    JP

2. jpcyrenne

I see the fields didn't stick:
    refresh 86400
    Retry 7200
    Expire 604800
    Minimum 86400
    TTL 600

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, its not nescessary to update or safe the zone.

4. jpcyrenne

1) so if i add or modify a record, it will automatically generate a new serial and replicate? If I add 3 records and modify 1, it generates 4 serials? Can it ignore the modifications in 1, 2 and 3 if I do 4 things? Just asking because in a manual way, I would modify everything, change the serial, save and relaunch Bind.

2) any way to optimise the replication delay, I find it very long compared to providers like Godaddy and AWS Route 53 for example. Maybe it's because they have more complex solutions?

Thanks,
    JP

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The max. delay that can occur for a dns replication in ISPConfig is 60 seconds, the number of dns servers des not mattter here, so even if you would have 100 dns servers then all servers will be updated within 60 seconds.