DNS Servers empty in Client Templates

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Jesse Norell, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

These seem like bugs, but maybe something is misconfigured on my part? On latest git-stable (July 6), I added 2 nameservers, ns1 and ns2 (mirror of ns1). When editing a Client Template, under Limits > DNS servers the 'DNS servers' list is empty (says 'No matches found'). The 'Default Secondary DNS Server' list just below it does have my ns1 nameserver listed. Shouldn't I be able to select ns1 in 'DNS servers' list?

And when editing a Client, under Limits > DNS servers I (correctly?) see only ns1 available for both 'DNS servers' and 'Default Secondary DNS Server', and I can select/save that. However when editing a reseller, both 'DNS servers' and 'Default Secondary DNS Server' list both ns1 and ns2 there, and when selecting either and saving, it appears nothing saves; upon reloading that reseller edit form, 'DNS servers' is always empty, and 'Default Secondary DNS Server' always lists ns1 (the first server in the list), even if I saved ns2 there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. cwispy

cwispy Active Member

I just looked at my dev install of 3.1b2 and I see the same thing. No matches found for the primary DNS and only 1 of the 2 servers listed in the Default Secondary DNS Server.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's a bug.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

5. cwispy

cwispy Active Member

I just updated to 3.1rc1 and noted that the issue does not appear to be totally fixed. I have commented in the original bug report. It now shows the primary server only in both dns fields in the limits template.

6. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

And why want you see the primary and (slave dns) in a select-box for the limits?

7. cwispy

cwispy Active Member

I would expect to see the primary server in the primary box and the secondary server in the secondary box. At the moment, I see the same server in both.

8. cwispy

cwispy Active Member

ispcfg-srv3.ispcfg3.tld = primary DNS
    ispcfg-srv4.ispcfg3.tld = secondary DNS

To make things a bit clearer. I would expect to see ispcfg-srv4.ispcfg3.tld in the default secondary dns server list.

Screenshot_2016-08-08_11-21-42.png

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When you set 2 dns servers to be mirrored in ispconfig, then only the first server of this mirror setup can receive dns records, no matter if this record a primary or slave zone, as all records get mirrored automatically to the slave. The selector you are talking about is the server that can receive slave zones, it is not the secondary dns server of an ispconfig dns mirror.