DNS service and files

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jeanjacquesjeanjacques, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Hello,

I'm sorry to bother you with this again but i really don't find any answers.

I've made an /init.d/bind stop and when i go to see inside ISPconfig services panel the bind server stills online, i really don't get it.
    What can i do to stop the bind service associated with ISPconfig ?

I would like to know if i create a domain using ISP config where will it put the files related to that domain ?

Thank you for your help,

Jean-Jacques

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In ISPConfig go to Management > Server > Services. Set the status for DNS to Off and hit safe.

/home/www/www.yourdomain.com/web/ or /var/www/www.yourdomain.com/web/ or in another webroot if you chose an other path as you installed ISPConfig.

3. DNS files et default config

Ok thank you for this, it's working perfectly.

I have followed the default installation but all my files are located inside /home/www/my.wesite.net

I'm still very confused because i thought that my DNS zone file related to my website would be also be in this folder but it's not, i'm not sure but after spending some time to look for it i believe that the file is located inside the /etc/bind folder.

I have also tried to see if the zone file generated by ISPconfig was correct but apprently not, http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=eatn.net
    What am i doing wrong ?

Best regards,

Jean-Jacques

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, and your html files, php, etc, goes into /home/www/my.wesite.net/web.

It depends on your distribution where the DNS files are. For Debian and Ubuntu it's /etc/bind, for others it might be /var/named, /var/lib/named, ...
    Is your nameserver authoritative for your domain? Do you use one or more nameservers for your domain? Do they have static public IP addresses, or are they in a local network?

5. dns with isp config

Thank you Falko for your precious help, it's very nice. :)

I have one server which is doing dns, http(s), php and mail under debian stable.
    So yes i have only one nameserver for my domains.
    I have one static public adress for 3 different domains.
    My server is connected to the internet thru a router (i have configured a NAT table on this router to forward to my server port 80, 81,53,110 etc..).

Before using ISPconfig everything was working properly, so i presume i have to learn how to user ISPconfig properly because it's such a fantastic and powerfull tool !

But i've readen the admin's doc one more time but i don't really find complementary informations about how to set up my dns correctly.

Do you know what's wrong ?

This is my pri.eatn.net file:
    Code:
    $TTL        86400
    @       IN      SOA     ns1.eatn.net. admin.eatn.net. (
                            2005112406       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                            28800              ; refresh, seconds
                            7200              ; retry, seconds
                            604800              ; expire, seconds
                            86400 )            ; minimum, seconds
    ;
                    NS      ns1.eatn.net.              ; Inet Address of name server 1
                    NS      ns2.eatn.net.              ; Inet Address of name server 2
    ;

www  MX      10 strategic-monitoring.com.

eatn.net.      A        193.251.177.175
    ns2.eatn.net       A       193.251.177.175
    ns1.eatn.net       A       193.251.177.175
    eatn.net       A       193.251.177.175

www.eatn.net       CNAME  eatn.net.

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  6. falko

Did you forward port 53 TCP and UDP from your router to your server?

I doubt that you want this:
    I guess you want

because you want to send emails to <user>@eatn.net and not <user>@www.eatn.net, right?

O, I tried a dig eatn.net and got no answer section which means there's something wrong. I guess the problem is that ns1.eatn.net is the authoritative name server for eatn.net. It's the hen <-> egg problem. Try to use another domain for the name server.

7. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I have the same problem. Do you mean that ns1.eatn.net should use other Managed DNS server first and then ns1.eatn.net can become authoritavie name server for eatn.net or other virturn domains?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ns1.eatn.net can only become autoritive nameserver for other domains, but never for itself (eatn.net).

9. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

If I registered test1.com.tw at ISP "octor.com" and want to use dns.test1.com.tw as my nameserver for test1.com.tw. I have to use ISP's Managed DNS server at rsdn1.octor.com to resolve dns.test1.com.tw to my external IP address first. Then I can use dns.test1.com.tw to act as a nameserver for test1.com.tw and test2.com.tw or other domains. Am I right or still misunderstaning something?

10. falko

You're still misunderstanding something. You can't use dns.test1.com.tw as name server for test1.com.tw, as Till mentioned above:

11. Smitty

Smitty New Member

... let me understand this correctly...

If I register my new domain (i.e smittydomain.com), and I wish to operate my own authoritative nameserver for that same domain (i.e ns1.smittydomain.com), you're saying I can't do that (without dependence upon an already registered nameserver elsewhere)? My domain registrar has told me they can register my nameserver at the same time that I register my new domain as part of the single registration process for my new domain.

Do all registrar's not have the capability to register the nameservers for that same domain, if called upon to do so?

.. not wishing to get caught in the stumblings of which came first - the chicken or the egg.

.. in advance, thanks.

Smitty

12. falko

I recommend that you register a "technical" domain (a domain you use for technical purposes only), then create ns1.<technicaldomain> and ns2.<technicaldomain> as A records, and then use these name servers when you register other domains.

13. wkdboi

wkdboi New Member

need help with isp config and bind dns

Hi All,

I have installed Cent OS 5 and ISP Config.

I log into ISP config it tells me bind dns = offline

I don't know what is wrong.

Domain is www.mad2.co.uk and have set up bind to use ns1.dnsmaster.net for www.mad2.co.uk IP for Nameserver is 212.84.167.18

And I am using my Static IP 84.45.211.25 for all other domains so in effect a loopback on itself. I have opened tcp/udp port 53 to the server but can't get any local domain like 1.mad2.co.uk to work.

If anyone can help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Linux Webserver Newbie

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  14. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ? Any BIND errors in your log files?
    Did you disable SELinux? Did you use the "Perfect Setup" for CentOS 5.0 to set up your server?
    Which DNS server is the primary nameserver for your domain?

15. wkdboi

wkdboi New Member

Primary name server is ns1.dnsmaster.net My domain register is Skymarket so it's their dns server

16. falko

BIND is running, I can see it in the output ot netstat -tap.

So did you create slave zones then for mad2.co.uk on your ISPConfig server?

Can you run
    Code:
    dig @localhost mad2.co.uk
    on your ISPConfig server? What's the output?

17. wkdboi

wkdboi New Member

[root@server1 ~]# dig @localhost mad2.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> @localhost mad2.co.uk
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8971
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mad2.co.uk. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mad2.co.uk. 86400 IN A 10.0.0.50

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    mad2.co.uk. 86400 IN NS ns1.dnsmaster.net.
    mad2.co.uk. 86400 IN NS ns2.dnsmaster.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns2.dnsmaster.net. 172680 IN A 212.84.168.18

;; Query time: 3 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Jun 28 22:18:36 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 109

18. falko

It's responding at least.

Two problems:
    1)
    Why do you use a local IP address? Nobody is then able to access your site from the outside...

2) I get this:
    Code:
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mad2.co.uk.             43200   IN      A       84.45.211.25
    which means that the primary DNS has stored another IP address for the domain than your own DNS server. This leads me to the assumption that you set up the mad2.co.uk zone as a master zone instead of a slave zone on your own nameserver...

19. wkdboi

wkdboi New Member

Hmmm this could very well be true I set everything up using ISP config so how do I go about checking and changing to slave dns

Copy of named.conf

[root@server1 etc]# nano named.conf

GNU nano 1.3.12 File: named.conf

zone "1.mad2.co.uk" {
    type master;
    file "pri.1.mad2.co.uk";
    };
    zone "mad2.co.uk" {
    type master;
    file "pri.mad2.co.uk";
    };

zone "ns1.mad2.co.uk" {