DNS settings

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by sapper6fd, Apr 24, 2006.

1. sapper6fd

sapper6fd New Member

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to running my own server, and I'm hear to learn so thats whay I have this newbish question.

I have FC 5 up and running, the DNS's have been correctly set durring the installation, MySQL, Apache, PHP and ISPConfig is all installed and working properly. I have a domain registered with GoDaddy that I would like to dirrect to this new server I've thrown up. Now my question is, do I need t edit my name servers in my GoDaddy Domain control pannel, or my Domain Hosts?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This should be the GoDaddy control panel.

3. sapper6fd

sapper6fd New Member

I understand that part, my question is which one do I point at my server? the Name Server or the Domain Host?

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

If you only want websites, you will need to change the IP in the A host.
    I'm not with GoDaddy, but there should be something like:

Code:
    Host		Points To		TTL      
     @ 		some.ip.nr  		3600 

Using a @ will automatically insert your domain name as host name for the A record.
    If you only want www.yourdomain.com (and not something.yourdomain.com) than you can replace the @ for www

Code:
    Host		Points To		TTL      
    www 		some.ip.nr  		3600 

You will need to change the some.ip.nr to your IP.

If you run your own DNS, that this is not needed

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  5. sapper6fd

sapper6fd New Member

So if I understand you correctly, I dont need to change the A Host records.

When I installed FC 5 and set it up to be a server (using the perfect setup how to here on howtofordge.com) a DNS server was installed. How do i configure that? I want to run more then just web sites, I would like to run an email server as well (which is alslo installed).

How do I configure the DNS server on my server is what I'm getting at?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Don't change the name servers, just change the IP addresses the hosts are pointing to (the A records).

You don't need that DNS server if you're using GoDaddy's DNS servers for your domains.
    Otherwise you'd do it like this: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6292&postcount=4