dns setup questions

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by bennyhill, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bennyhill

bennyhill New Member

Hi

i have a question regarding dns configuration

i am using debian as it is setup in the ultimate guide. My aim is to setup a webserver which will run directadmin control panel (needed for other software i wish to install) Ive set up the server to step 7 in the guide debian perfect install.

ok so now the problems, i need to run my own dns. we had been using another provider for dns but they are not reliable and we had problems so on so forth. They are however, providing our ips, they have given me two.

I am a noob.

I dont know how to set up my dns, i dont want to use their dns. so i can set up bind on the server with one of my ip's, can i then alias the other ip to the server (map with an alias hostname) will this work? if i set up bind on the server, it could be my primary dns, what about then using a service like godaddy as my secondary dns, how would that work?

i appreciate that this post is a bit - fuzzy, but i dont know how else to describe it!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

How do you mean that?

Yes, that would work. Just specify the GoDaddy nameserver as the secondary when you register a new domain. You'll also have to specify in the GoDaddy web interface that you want to use one of their nameservers as the secondary one.