DNS Split zones

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Friendbg, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Friendbg

Friendbg New Member

Hi guys,

I'm writing you about one strange issue.
    We have 2 dns servers - server A and server B. Server A is master of zone 1.example.com, 2.example.com and server B is slave to 1.example.com and 2.example.com.
    Our domain example.com is hosted at dyndns.com and there are the main dns records. In our A and B dns servers we create some local dns stuff like mail.1.example.com and office.2.example.com etc. Those dns records are with local ip addresses 192.168.1.0/24.
    In dyndns we have also nodes for mail.1.example.com and office.2.example.com which are for our real ip's 123.123.123.123.

We want to do this plan:
    From A server we want to access 2.example.com records with their real ip's (like dns zone from dyndns.com) and 1.example.com with their local ip's from dns zone hosted on A server.
    From B server we want to access 1.example.com records with their real ip's
    (like dns zone from dyndns.com) and 2.example.com with their local ip's from dns zone which we get from A server( our B server is slave).

The main reason to do this that we want all to be managed from our main dns server - A server, so if we add third or else dns server will be easy to manage it.

Any idea how can we do this guys?
    I think this can be done with "type forward" options but I'm not sure how to do it.
    And .. I know that if we use /etc/hosts we can do this, but the idea is to do with bind9, because of using the /etc/hosts will cost us editing 20~ servers hosts file which uses our local dns servers.

Thanks and all the best!

Nikolay