DNS Trouble

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wowwen, Jun 18, 2008.

1. wowwen

wowwen New Member

Hello everyone.

Ive just installed 2 debian etch servers with ispconfig. Everything went all right and i am able to run all task avabible on the web admin site.

But iam having some trouble. Iam using ispconfig to configure 1 domain. Since i will be using an external webserver and mailserver i will just use the dns manager part. Ive created an master zone for my domain where i point domain ip to my external webserver.

Ive also created an alias for the external webserver and it works fine. When i try to resolv the host everything works like it should. Both domainname and alias.

To the trouble. Ive created an a record for my mailserver and then created an mx pointer which points to my newly created A record. But those never start to work. When i use a dns query tool it says that no MX or A record is registred exept the one for the domain. A record =example.com

Since iam a windows administrator my knowledge of bind9 is terrible but the zone file looks like this.

;
    NS ns1.example.com. ; Inet Address of name server 1
    NS ns2.example.com. ; Inet Address of name server 2
    ;

mail.example.com MX 10 mail.example.com.

example.com. A 123.123.123.123
    mail.example.com A 124.124.222.333

www CNAME example.com.

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

In my eyes, this looks like a working config, but like ive said, this is for sure not a bug, just badly configured by me.

"Ive replaced the real domainname with example;) ."

Any suggestions where i did wrong?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This is wrong. It means that you've created an MX record for email addresses like
    [email protected].

What you want is either
    Code:
    example.com[B][COLOR="Red"].[/COLOR][/B] MX 10 mail.example.com.
    or
    Code:
     MX 10 mail.example.com.