DNS Zone - Configuring only subdomain

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Marcio Urakawa, Jun 7, 2020.

1. I don't know if there is such a possibility.
    In the company where I work, we only have one domain, and all the sites we offer to users are just subdomains.
    We have a BIND DNS server that we use to manually point to the WEB server.

I wanted that in Ispconfig when adding a new site, the sudomain would work without having to add it manually on my BIND DNS server.
    It is a question that involves DNS and the ISP, thanks in advance.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Even if you maintain the DNS server in ISPConfig, you would still need to create the zone in dns before creating the website.
    But there was someone making a plugin(?) for ISPConfig, or was it a merge request in the git? about automatically creating the DNS entries when a website is created. But even that would not create the necessary entries in your bind server outside of ISPConfig.

3. What I think is to perform a DNS delegation to ispconfig.
    And ispconfig's DNS server could create subdomains.
    Examples:
    subdomain1.mydomain.com
    subdomain2.mydomain.com
    So I think I could avoid the manual process of having each site configure on the main DNS server(Master).
    My question would be how Isp would react.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can set a wildcard dns record that points all subdomains to the same IP.

5. In my DNS masster I have subdomains already configured, it would be a problem to configure so that all subdomains point to the same I(ispconfig).
    Some subdomains already point to other services.

6. Th0m

No, it wouldn't. If you setup a wildcard, all the subdomains you try that aren't configured will have the same data. Example:
    DNS zone has *.example.com which points to 1.2.3.4, the IP adress of the main server. It also has server02.example.com, which points to 8.7.6.5, the IP adress of server02. When someone looks thom.example.com up, they will get "1.2.3.4" back as reply. When they look up "server02.example.com", they will receive "8.7.6.5"

7. I understand now. I just keep thinking about the possible problems that way, if the user misses the subdomain of the site he will be pointed to 1.2.3.4. Right ?

Besides, I don't know if they would allow me in the company, but thanks for the precious tips.

8. Th0m

Yes, all subdomains that you can think of will go to 1.2.3.4 except the ones you configured to do else.