DNS Zones, needed?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Quaxth, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

DNS Zones, needed?

Using just 1 domain in ISPC, didn't need to use DNS Zones, those could left blank. But, what's about using more than one Domain, even if it's for the same 'Client', DNS Zones are now needed?
    Right now I use only one Domain and no DNS Zones, and that works just fine. Just, those Domain is for testings only, not really for production! Also, Mail isn't in use for that Test-Domain. That would change if I set up the Production Domain, it will need Mail as well.

What would be the needed steps if I add one or more Domain('s) to ISPC?

Thanks for the information.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not matter for DNS how many domains you use. If you use the DNS server of your provider (which you seem to do now as your first domain won't work otherwise), then you can do the same with any further domain as well. So there is no need to use DNS in ISPConfg then.

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks for your answer.

The DNS/Nameserver are set to the Google Servers in ISPC.
    I asked because I'll need to run a full functional Mailserver if I change to Production Server/Domain. That includes the use of the Nameservers of my Registrar or my own in ISPC. I also need the use of an SMTP-Relay Server. ISP's in Thailand are very strict if it's come to the commercial use of Websites!!

What will be the easiest way to get working special a Mail-Server for my Production Domain?

Thanks for the information!

4. till

No, thats's not what I'm talking about. I talk about the DNS servers of your domain, you must have registered your domain somewhere and your domain then normally uses the DNS servers of the company where you registered that domain. Just do the same with your second domain that you did for the first domain.

Go to the ISPConfig email module and add an email domain and then add the mailboxes that you want to use in ISPConfig. If you have to use a relay server, then you can set it up under System > server config > Mail in ISPConfig. And ensure that the MX record that you setup at the company where you registered your domain name points to a domain or hostname that points to your server.

5. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks, Till.
    I'll look at this more closely now and also check with my registrar for the relevant details.

Thanks a lot!

6. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

OK, could you please tell me what I've to do here:
    [​IMG]
    A host is: server1.mydomain.tld?? But what is Mail Server name? And for Priority, what I've to key in?

And what's about the SMTP, POP, IMAP Ports?

Thanks for the needed information!

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

MX is only for SMTP. between mail servers:

"A mail exchanger record (MX record) is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System that specifies a mail server responsible for accepting email messages on behalf of a recipient's domain, and a preference value used to prioritize mail delivery if multiple mail servers are available. The set of MX records of a domain name specifies how email should be routed with the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record

You can have more than 1 email server and with priority you can set a priority in which they should be contacted.

Generally I just label everything mail.domain.tld nowadays in the mx record. I see no real need to differentiate between smtp and pop3/imap since it all runs on the same server.

8. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks sjau.

I was set the needed data by my Domain Service Provider already. Now I started checking with MXTools and here's the outcome:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Regarding the first two errors on the outcome, I need to contact my DNS REgistra about a missing DNS Report!
    Regarding the SMTP Errors, it seems to be that I've to setup those in ISPConfig!

So, how to start with that? Could I use an own SMTP Server on my Server, or do I need a 3.party SMTP Server?

Some info would be very useful. Thanks!

9. till

You have to add a DNS A-Record for server1.mydomain.tld in the dns server of your provider which points to the IP address of your server.

10. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks Till.

I've understood that that's why I wrote that I need to contact my Registrar!

I'm just concerned about the SMTP Server (Settings) in ISPC.

Thanks for your help, and I'll get in touch with the Registrar about that A Record right now!

11. till

DNS is not related to ports of the mail services and it does not matter for email service which domain, subdomain or IP you use in your email client to connect to the server, the only thing that matters is that the domain r Ip points to your server.

12. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thank you Till.

That A Record is done already, need about 30min to get working! After that time, I'll run MXToolbox again and see what will be the outcome.

So, what you say is, I didn't need a SMTP Server?

13. till

When you followed the perfect server guide, then you have already anSMTP server as any ISPConfig perfect server guide contains a full smtp, pop3 and imap server. What @sjau and I explained above is that the name of the subdomain that you use to connect to your server in your email client does not matters, it just has to point to your server, that's all.

14. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks Till.
    Now, I use TheBat E-mail Client for to retrieve the e-mail messages from Mail Server. How that will works? I'll not use Webmail in office, because that would require to login any single time, while TheBat checks automatically for e-mails every few minutes, I've set that to 5 min!
    How do I get the relevant Log On Data for the ISPC Mail Server? Thanks.

15. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Beside of my above question, the MX Server settings I use now are:
    [​IMG]
    Now, I'm not sure, that Value: server1.thaifw.us is correct or not? The E-Mail address looks like [email protected] and not [email protected]! Or am I wrong? Thanks.

16. till

The logon data is the same that you use for webmail, so you have that already and the smtp, pop3 and imap server name are explained already above.

That's ok. Just ensure that server1.thaifw.us exists in DNS and points to the IP of your server with a DNS A-record.

17. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Please look at the pic for what I need for data:
    [​IMG]

And this are the A Records:
    [​IMG]

That's ok. Just ensure that server1.thaifw.us exists in DNS and points to the IP of your server with a DNS A-record.[/QUOTE]

Still, by checking with MXToolbox right now: NO A Record:
    [​IMG]

Any Idea?

18. till

Everything you need to know is explained at least twice in this thread above, so all you have to do is to read the messages of this thread again and start filling in the data.

19. till

According to the list, you still did not add the a-record for server1 and that's why MXToolbox complains that it does not exist.

20. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks.
    OK, I have Usernames and Passwords, that isn't a problem! For the Mail Server, I didn't know the SMTP Server Name, nor the required ports, etc.! And that's what I asked for, those details. They're also not in the manual of ISPC, and not told on this thread too.

For the Records, I just asked to clarify they're OK or not. The result is, that A Record didn't work yet! The propagation is more than an hour ago already!

Thanks.