DNSMadeEasy and multiple Websites

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by browngb, Dec 15, 2005.

1. browngb

browngb New Member

I purchased three domain names: brojoh.com, bishopatwork.com, and preventenance.com and would like to host them with ispconfig. I have one server with a single dynamic public IP address, so I am using www.dnsmadeeasy.com as nameservers. Through them, I have the three websites pointed at my IP as A records, as well as several CNAME's for each (mail, www).

I have installed ISPConfig, and it appears to be running correctly, but when i go to each domain, it puts me into the root web folder. I see folders called web1, web2, web3, www.brojoh.com, www.preventenance.com, and www.bishopatwork.com. What I do not understand is how to make those folders the root folder for each respective domain. If someone could explain what I'm doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Member

When I ping those domains from my box, they all resolve to the IP address of pool-71-246-137-176.aubnin.fios.verizon.net (71.246.137.176). That sounds like a dynamic IP address from a Verizon.Net pool. If 71.246.137.176 is really the IP address of your server, well, then DNS is doing its job.

If 71.246.137.176 is your server's address, then it will be an issue in Apache and/or your ISPConfig setup for each of those domains.

I just tried hitting each of those domains with a web browser, and all of the www addresses time out; are you sure you're really at 71.246.137.176?
    ________
    Panhard

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. browngb

browngb New Member

That's my IP address. I didn't have port 53 forwarded, which is now, but that didn't seem to be the problem. It works inside my network though. Any ideas?

4. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Member

It's some sort of Apache problem -- no, I take that back.

Here's what I could see in a quick check.

If I telnet into port 80 of your IP address and issue a command of "GET / HTTP/1.1" I should get some sort of web page in response. I can connect, but I get nothing -- hints at an Apache problem.

Since I know you're running ISPConfig, I should be able to hit port 81 with either HTTP or HTTPS.

Yet when I do that with HTTP, I get this:

Code:
    Bad Request
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
    Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

Hint: https://192.168.0.100:81/

Apache/1.3.33 Server at 192.168.0.100 Port 81
    That's strange, something isn't right. I can't hit a 192.168 address and shouldn't see that out here on the Internet. This smacks of a router or NAT issue.

FWIW, hitting https://www.bishopatwork.com:81/login.php does serve me up a nice ISPConfig login prompt.

So now we know that ISPConfig gets to the outside properly. To me, this suggests some difference between the way you're routing/NATing HTTPS:81 and HTTP:80, or your regular port 80 Apache configuration, or the way you set up the domains in ISPConfig.

Hope it helps.

5. browngb

browngb New Member

Are you sure you can connect to my server with telnet on port 80? I googled verizon fios blocking port 80 and i'm getting conflicting answers. I've set up a HTTP redirect for hostname www on brojoh.com, but I do not know how to configure my server to listen on that port for http. But, it seems to me that if you can telnet into my server on port 80, they're not blocking the port. Right?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I get a timeout in my browser when I try to connect to that URL. The DNS record now points to 71.246.137.164. Is this your current IP address?

Did you forward ports 80 and 81 from your router to your ISPConfig server?

7. browngb

browngb New Member

I really don't know if I could make this any more confusing. The reason bishopatwork.com didn't work for you is because my dynamic dns updater can only support two domains, so I have to manually update bishopatwork.com, while brojoh.com and preventenance.com update automatically. Also, any time I make a change on my router, it pulls a new IP address from Verizon, so who knows what my IP is right now, I just know that the updater has been working.

I am thinking that my port 80 is blocked, since I can reach the ISPConfig login page on port 81 from outside my network (https://brojoh.com:81 to see it), but anything on port 80 times out. I think I need to set up DNS Made Easy's HTTP redirection to send all traffic to port 8080, but I don't know how to configure ISPConfig to listen on that port. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks

PS The right ports are forwarded, and I even have the server set as the DMZ now.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

A
    Code:
    telnet brojoh.com 80
    times out so it seems as if your ISP is blocking port 80.

You have to configure your main Apache to listen on port 8080. ISPconfig can continue to use port 81 because that one's working.
    Please have a look at this thread: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1532