Do I need Kolab/other groupware?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by kejpa, Jul 13, 2014.

1. kejpa

kejpa New Member

Hi,
    I'm running a Linux server with a couple of domains. Currently they don't have email connected but I think they will in a not too distant future.

My question is do I _need_ kolab or any other "Exchange" server in order to handle mail for my domains?

thanks in advance
    /Kejpa

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes you can use these for mail server in your domain.

3. kejpa

kejpa New Member

Yes Srijan,
    I know I _can_ use it for mail server. My question is whether I _need_ it or if I can handle virtual users and multiple domains just as easy without it.

Thanks anyway!
    /Kejpa

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, you dont need them, If you just want to have email services like smtp, pop3 and imap, then Kolab is way too much. If ou want to manage your mailboxes and websites with one software, then install ispconfig. If you ant to configure the mailboxes separately, then check out the "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL" guides here at howtoforge.

5. kejpa

kejpa New Member

Thanks!
    I'm thinking of installing ISPConfig following the "Perfect server". Just changing getmail for Courier I guess...

I would very much like to have my personal calendar in just one place which is synchronized to my tablet, computer and phone. Is it possible without a kolab-like server?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Getmail is a program to fetch emails from a external server while courier is a imap / pop3 dameon. So nothing that can be exchanged.

The perfect server guides are well tested and used on many thousand servers worldwide, I highly recommend to not change anything if you like to get a working setup.

There are several webbased applications that provide caldav which can be simply installed in a websit, e.g. owncloud.

7. kejpa

kejpa New Member

Hi Till,
    owncloud is on my wish list for my new server.

So, basically I guess imap and caldav is enough to keep my devices mail-and-calendar synchonized.

Thanks again!
    /Kejpa