Do I need two IP addresses ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by patcomsys, Jan 10, 2006.

1. patcomsys

patcomsys New Member

Hello

I would like to use ISPConfig on my server. I have loaded it on a box on my local network and it looks like just what I need.

I followed the Perfect set-up for Fedora Core 3 which included defining 2 IP addresses.

I only have a single IP address for my server - is this going to be a problem.

To further complicate the issue, I already have an SSL cert on the server and have heard that you can only have one cert per IP address - is this true? if so can I use my existing cert - which is used by the normal apache - for the ISPConfig as well?

Thanks for your help

Mike

2. mwebb

mwebb New Member

back when i installed using fedora 4 perfect setup i was told.
    "It doesn't matter which one you take. BTW, I mentioned the virtual IP address in the tutorial just as an example how you do it if you need it. The virtual IP address is totally optional. "
    so am thinking you probably don't need 2 ip address, then again i have no idea what i'm talking about, i'm just trying to help you because so many have helped me.

3. patcomsys

patcomsys New Member

Thanks - I have for some time now thought that it was a case of 1 IP address = 1 SSL cert - if this is not the case then that is good news

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You need one IP address for each SSL enabled web, thats a limitation in apache, not ISPConfig.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130&page=2
    The second IP address is totally optional, it's just an example how you do it if you need it.