Do I really need ISPConfig ?

Discussion in 'General' started by robertlouwen, Apr 11, 2009.

1. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

Yesterday I followed the tutorial "perfect server fedora 10 ispconfig3" and in now time I had it up and running.
    Only ... Configuring ISPConfig3 took all evening and is still not to my satisfaction.

Do I really need ISPConfig ?

I only want to host my own email- ftp- and web server ( joomla 1.5.10 )

With respect, Robert

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Without ISPConfig none of the services on your server is configured, so you will not be able to use them without ispconfig. Installing ispconfig takes about 2 minutes, so I really dont know what you mean that it tokk you an evening.

3. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

Re:

You are absolutly right about the time needed for installing ISPConfig, but configuring took all evening and I ended up with nothing.

There are so many settings and features I don't know where to begin and what I need or don't need.

There is a tutorial for ISPConfig2 on their web but that is so different.

ISPConfig3 makes a website in /var/www/clients/client(x)/web/ I would like to have my pages just in /var/www/html/ is that possible ?

Something else ( maybe not ISPConfig3 related ) Joomla needs certain maps to be writeable when I try to chmod with Filezilla it returns an error, when I chmod 777 directly on the linux webserver it seems to work but when I request a page Apache return an internal server error ?

Somebody a suggestion ?

With respect, Robert

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

You can use suPHP+php5-cgi instead of PHP5mod. With suPHP the php scripts are running under the owner of the web and not under the global apache user on your Linux system. With suPHP enabled, you can define any chmod setting you like, so there will be no permision problems. I do not recommend to use chmod 777 as it is not safe!

5. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

Re: Hans

Thank you Hans !

This is one of many features where i did not know what to choose.
    I did choose for mod-php because that looks like Apache + PHP5 like i used on Win2000.

( Yesterday I decided that I want a Linux server :) )

With respect, Robert