domain.com & www.domain.com

Discussion in 'General' started by themoose, Nov 27, 2007.

1. themoose

themoose New Member

Hi,

I added a domain, the hostname was default - www.

When I look at co-domains there is an extra hostname without www. (just blank)

When I visit www.domain.com it resolves fine, but when I visit domain.com it just says "page could not be displayed".

What can I do to access my domain without www.? It's pretty important.

Thanks,

Colin

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not a problem of the site settings in ispconfig. Add a dns a-record for domain.com pointing to your server ip at the authoritive dns server

3. themoose

themoose New Member

Sorry.. I don't quite understand, where do I add it? Somewhere in ISPConfig? Whereabouts? Or on my domain control panel with my registrar?

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

If you use the DNS server from your registrar, than you will need to set it there.

You will see a A record with as host text: WWW pointing to the server IP.
    Now add a A record with a @ as host text and point it to the server IP. (or if you want you can change the WWW into @)

A @ is a wildcard, and will forward any request for that domain to the set IP.

Please note that after changing this it might take some time to see it work!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  5. themoose

themoose New Member

Well, currently I'm using ISPConfig for DNS.. the only things I've ever changed on the registrar are the NameServers.

I think I have to upgrade the domain for advanced DNS management, is there anyway to do this using ISPConfig instead?

Thanks for your help!

Colin