Domain deletion does not remove DB entry?

Discussion in 'General' started by kuckus, Oct 15, 2006.

1. kuckus

kuckus New Member

Hi,

possibly a bug report...

After removing a domain of mine ("wiki.mydomain.com") through the reseller interface, I tried to add it as a co-domain to another web. ISPConfig then told me the domain did still exist and it could therefore not be recreated.

I got it to work by manually removing the subdomain's row in the "isp_isp_web" database table.
    Isn't this something the config panel should have taken care of automatically?

(Along the way I also removed the subdomain's directory under /var/www/ and the DNS entries which were still present. Not sure if I could have kept these and gone for the DB right away.)

I'm using the latest ISPConfig, 2.2.7.

kuckus

2. Nap

Nap Member

I've got the same issue here.

Kuckus, did your db edit work?

Cheers,
    Nap

3. kuckus

kuckus New Member

Yeah, I just removed the row that belonged to host "wiki" and domain "mydomain.com".

Afterwards, adding it as a co-domain for another web went smoothly.
    Though as I said, the domain's webXX folder and its DNS entries were gone by then as well, in my case.

Regards,
    kuckus

4. Nap

Nap Member

I've been going through all the tables, and have found a number of other references that should have been deleted but weren't. (Unless they are being kept for reporting purposes after a site/client have been removed.)

This is scary, but since I've started, I will continue.

There is a lot of cross-linking between node numbers, and I'm sure I will break a few. If I break it, I will either need to re-install, or if I'm lucky I might be able to just repopulate the basic database.

I certainly don't suggest this method if you have live data, unless you know how all the tables inter-relate.

In my case, I'm setting up a development server and don't have anything on it that can't be recovered.

Cheers,
    Nap

5. kuckus

kuckus New Member

Did you know the admin user sees a recycle bin folder in his admin view? I just read about it in another thread.

For me, right now, it's empty, but might not have been empty before I deleted the db row. Who knows.

But it would be kinda strange to have webs which belong to a reseller and which a reseller deletes moved to the admin's wastebin. After all, the typical reseller isn't logged in as admin at all times.

Perhaps having separate wastebins for every reseller of the system would be an idea?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Correct. by the way, deleting rows in the DB manually corrupts your database, as every record has other dependant records.

The items that belong to a reseller are only in the resellers recycle bin.

7. Nap

Nap Member

After I did a bunch of manual editing, ISPConfig still seems to work. (But I can't be sure as I haven't tested everything yet.)

In addition to corrupting the database, wouldn't this also lead to a mismatch between the ISPConfig database and the Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc config files?

I used the options that allow you to check, optimise, and repair the database just in case. Are these options able to fix problems generated by manual editing of the sort I've done?

If not, is that a way of re-initializing the databases with fresh data? (In my case, I'm just starting out with the configuration and there is no live data to worry about.)

Cheers,
    Nap

8. kuckus

kuckus New Member

Till: Ahhh sorry. Only now that you mention it did I notice that I as a reseller actually have a recycle bin in my menue... I have four of my own webs at "root" level as well and totally missed it, it seems.

It still contained the entry for wiki.mydomain.com and now that I emptied the recycle bin I am pretty sure all the right entries (and not just the one row I deleted manually) are gone.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Perhaps the "delete" buttons that actually move things over to the recycle bin could have something to that effect on their labels to avoid any confusion?

kuckus

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Maybe, but it's the same on Windows: when you want to delete a file, you right-click it and select "Delete", and it's moved to the recycle bin then.