Domain Name > 32 chars

Discussion in 'General' started by retran, May 30, 2006.

1. retran

retran New Member

I use the domain name prefix for creating users in ISPConfig. I do this because the number system based on the ID of the user is a very hard way to track and manage users, is not very intitive for the users themselves, and just all around makes more sense.

The problem I run into is that I cannot create any users for a site with a domain that is longer than 32 characters. Believe it or not with my clients this is a common occurence. Is there any way to either...
    over-ride the 32 char limit...
    or create a different method when using the DOMAIN prefix that would truncate the domain to a reasonable number of chars, and if when truncating it is not unique it applies a "1" suffix (and "2" if that is taken and so on) to ensure its uniqueness?

I believe I can get around this problem by changing my settings to have no prefix, then back again after I create this user. But I would like the hard rules like I suggested above to apply consistently for reseller accounts. Perhaps there is already a way in ISPConfig to do this? If not let me know and I can post a thread in the Features Request category.

Another issue I find is having to manually create a user for each site. This to me seems redundant as most of my sites I create are for new users! Is there a way to have a standard user created every time a site is created perhaps derived from a setting in the basis template used?

Another question I have, is why the error message for surpassing the 32 char limit is a dead end? Wouldn't it make sense for there to be a link to return to the form and try again instead of having to rely on the browsers frame navigating features (that some do not have) to return to the form?

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

There's no way to circumvent this. The 32 char limit is a Linux limit for user names, it's not made by ISPConfig.

No, you must create the users manually. You could automate this process with the remoting framework: http://www.ispconfig.org/remoting_plugin.htm

All the error messages are "dead ends" because the error messages are defined in the language files where we cannot specify dynamic links.