Domain rights ISPConfig 3 / Manual / Concept?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ben, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Hi folks,

starting to get in touch with ISPConfig3 I was just wondering about the domain concept in general.
    What I could understand was the idea of having a differrent set of domains for sites and mail per user. Depending on the need this makes sense. But what I did not understand was the logic, why User A may have Domain1.com (no matter of the subdomain) and User B may have any subdomain of Domain1, e.g. userb.domain1.com.
    From my point of view this is not really logic nor safe, except User A would be a kind of reseller for his domain (no matter if for web or mail) and allow other users to have subdomains within his domain / zone.
    Or am I just not getting the point?

This leads me to a question like, are there documents explaining conceptional things in ispconfig like this? Maybe I am just not getting the point because of the missing background ideas :)

tia
    Ben

2. Ben

Sorry for pushing this, but after several weeks no answer, maybe sb can give me an answer to the question....

Might this or general questions regarding the concept of ispconfig 3 in the currently released manual? The content did not indicate anything in this direction.

thx

3. Toucan

Toucan Member

Ben,

I sort of understand your point - so yes, you could potentially create the subdomain userb.useradomain.com, but how are browsers going to get there if there are no dns records for userb.useradomain.com?

Ispconfig won't let userb enter the domain record for useradomain.com if it's already been taken by usera.

So you can make the vhost illegitimately, but you can't make the dns records - making the vhost useless.

Unless I've not understood your example?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Additionally to Toucans reply: Since ISPCOnfig 3 there is a new module available named "domain" where the administrator can restrict the domains for the client and reseller. Enabling this module converts the input fields for all website domains to select fields which show only the domains that the administrator assigned to that user.

5. Ben

Thanks Toucan and Till.

Regarding the DNS thing I did not try this at all, as I did not use the DNS feature from within ispconfig, but thanks for the hint.

@Till: Is the domain module new? I can not remember it when I testet 3.0.2.2

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, thats a new module in ISPConfig 3.0.3