Domain URL not redirected by ISPCONFIG

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by nushara, Apr 20, 2020.

1. nushara

nushara New Member

Hey there,

I have encountered an issue with my ISPConfig.

I have two websites set up the same way but with different Domains. When I try to reach my one website it is working totally fine. But the other one is not. Even if they are configured the same way but with different domains.

What is VERY strange is, when I use the IP of my server instead of a domain, I get my second website displayed. But not when I try to reach it trough its domain.

This really confuses me and It would be great if someone could help me figure out what the issue here is.
    Thank you very much!

Best regards,
    - Mike

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

when you look at the webdomain settings do you have one of them with the ip address set as * and one with an actual ip address?
    if so, set them both to either the ip or *, not a mixture of both.

3. nushara

nushara New Member

They are both set to IP. But the document root is different.

[​IMG]

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Do both websites have a valid HTTPS certificate?
    Are they websites made in the usual way in ISPConfig? No extra setup, like getting both to use the same client0/web3 directory?

5. nushara

nushara New Member

Well the first one is totally fine. SSL everything working.

The second one I am not able to test since I can't reach is trough domain, only by IP.

They are just created with ISP the usual way. They are using different folders like:
    "/var/www/clients/client0/web1" and "/var/www/clients/client0/web3"

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Different websites have of course different folders, otherwise, they were not different websites.

As @Taleman mentioned, when you don't have SSL enabled on both sites and you try to access a site which has no SSL enabled by https://, then you must get the content of the other site. Therefore you must ensure that you have SSL enabled on both site and that it's active on booth sites, means that the sites have an SSL cert.

7. nushara

nushara New Member

Yeah I know I just wanted to give you as much details as possible.

Reaching with or without http/https makes no difference. It always gets me a ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

8. nhybgtvfr

I can't tell with that screenshot, maybe white blanking on white background, is that domain set as just mic? or is it blanked off?
    are the sites using a purchased ssl certificate or are you enabling the letscencrypt checkbox on each domain?

if it's letsencrypt, are both domains letsencrypt checkbox still ticked?
    are all the certificate files (or letsencrypt symlinks) in the /var/www/client/<clientid>/<webid>/ssl/ folder?
    if it's letsencrypt symlinks, do they all point to valid target files?
    finally, check the vhost configuration files in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ or wherever nginx keeps them if you use that.
    firstly check it's not creating one with a .err extension, if it is, you'll have to check that file for config/syntax errors to find out what the problem is, otherwise check it's putting the correct ssl details into those vhost configs.

9. nhybgtvfr

ok, you're latest reply came whilst I was still typing. looks like the issue isn't with the websites themselves, but the dns then.
    what is the full name of the website that you're having problems connecting to?

10. nushara

nushara New Member

Ah ok. It is michael-kriegel.de

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This error means that the domain does not exist in DNS, that's not related to the website in ISPConfig in any way and you also don't get redirected to a wrong site as you can not access a website by IP when you have more than one site on a server which has just a single IP. Create DNS records for the domain on the DNS server that is authoritative for that domain.

12. nhybgtvfr

how long ago was the domain registered/dns configured?

i'm getting the ip when querying the domains specified nameservers, but not from google's. maybe it's all new and not propagated yet?
    odd, though, doesn't normally take long at all for a new domain/dns zone.

Code:
    nslookup michael-kriegel.de 8.8.8.8
    Server:         8.8.8.8
    Address:        8.8.8.8#53

** server can't find michael-kriegel.de: NXDOMAIN

nslookup michael-kriegel.de ns01.domainssaubillig.de
    Server:         ns01.domainssaubillig.de
    Address:        2001:67c:2394:1::1001#53

Name:   michael-kriegel.de
    Address: 84.200.223.43

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  13. nhybgtvfr

also, just noticed, the ip's it does return don't match what you've got in your screenshot? have you got any NAT/loadbalancing going on in front of that server?

14. nhybgtvfr

you may want to double check the domain registration, I don't know if it never registered properly, it expired, or they couldn't verify contact details, but it would appear to be the source of your problems, this is the output of a whois on the domain:

Domain: michael-kriegel.de
    Nserver: ns01.domainssaubillig.de
    Nserver: ns02.domainssaubillig.de
    Changed: 2020-03-31T22:33:29+02:00

15. nushara

nushara New Member

No I don't have anything going on other than ISP. That's why I am so confused.

My domain hoster said it's all good. My web interface is also showing the right name. But you are right, the IP is not the same.

[​IMG]