Domains not resolving (DNS)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by psopacua, Mar 24, 2024.

1. psopacua

psopacua New Member

Hi all,
    (Not sure if this is the correct forum, sorry if its not i can repost int he correct forum then)!

Last week i have been busy migrating my webserver hosted on a cloud VPS to a new VM instance in Proxmox on a dedicated server.
    I used the ISPConfig migration tool and everything went well and all services are running on the new server.

So last night i wanted to switch my DNS server to the new server. I went to my domain registrar and edited the glue records for ns1.domain.ext and ns2.domain.ext. After a while the registrar was updated and now my domains aren't resolving anymore.

Log 'systemctl restart named':
    https://pastebin.com/REWu9Kv5

dig @localhost domain.ext:
    Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.18.24-1-Debian <<>> @localhost domain.ext
    ; (2 servers found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 38071
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
    ; COOKIE: 88d18b32d9cf4a0c01000000660009f2667b5ac988e68d96 (good)
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;domain.ext.            IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    domain.ext.        3600    IN    A    136.243.xx.xx

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(localhost) (UDP)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Mar 24 12:09:38 CET 2024
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 87

I just can't find the the problem it al looks good to me and it should resolve my nameservers.
    Anyone has some good directions or idea's how this is happening? (Old cloud hetzner & Dedicated server is hosted at Hetzner)

For the time being im running the DNS server on my old cloud vps with the dns info the new server so the websites and mail still working through the new server.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Waqas Saeed likes this.
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, check if the zone files are there on your server and look correctly and that they do not have a .err file ending. The directory can be found under System > server config > DNS in ISPConfig.

Then check your DNS setup with intodns.com

3. psopacua

psopacua New Member

Hello Till,

Of course i have checked if there are any zone .err files, luckily there arent any so that shouldn't be the problem.

I am not really sure if this possible, but what i did now is added the following records to the zone on the old vps and the new vm in ispconfig:
    Code:
    a nameserver1.domain.ext. ip1
    a nameserver2.domain.ext. ip2
    ns domain.ext. nameserver1.domain.ext.
    ns domain.ext. nameserver2.domain.ext.

Then went to do a check on intodns.com and got 1 error the rest is fine:
    Code:
    Missing nameservers reported by parent FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
    nameserver1.domain.ext
    nameserver2.domain.ext

If im right does this state my nameservers arent running?

Thank you for the fast respone =)!

UPDATE:
    After further investigating nothing was wrong, all services are working correct.
    Disabled the firewall of hetzner on the robot panel of my dedicated server and all problems were gone.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024