Don't know where else to ask this virtualization question.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by somas1, May 25, 2007.

1. somas1

somas1 New Member

I plan to spend about $1000 on a core 2 duo ubuntu server with 4 gigs of ram to setup my ultimate OS sandbox/workshop. I figure that 4 gigs of ram and a modern processor will allow me to do this well. I'm planning to run virtual windows, freebsd, and 1 or 2 linux servers for development purposes. I do want to run one linux based guest as a regular desktop environment. I think that I want to run this regular desktop as a 32 bit guest on my 64 bit host.

Is this setup feasible? Any advice or pointers on something I am missing? I don't want to pay for the Virtualization software (yet) so will probably go with XenExpress or VmWare Server. Is one of these solutions better at mixing 32 and 64 bit hosts/guests?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'M doing this on VMware and never had problems. I haven't tried it with Xen yet, but AFAIK it supports this, too.

3. somas1

somas1 New Member

You're mixing 32 and 64 bit operating systems? Cool!

Do you have to run X on your VmWare server? That seems like it would be a waste of resources. Does VmWare server work without X or a desktop installed? I've only used it via KDE

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No.
    It works even without a desktop. You can install it on a system without a desktop and then connect to it from a desktop system that has the VMware Server client package installed.